Why become a member? ×

Feeling and fit of custom made ACS earplugs vs off the shelf ACS/EarPeace

sirmuppet

Hi guys.

I've read through posts on here and the sticky but I'd like some insight into the difference in feel. So here goes...

I use standard off the shelf ACS ER20 earplugs like these: http://www.djtechdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1000x1000/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/c/acs-er20-ear-plugs.png These are a medium silicon & pastic mix and feel good for the most part.

They've done me well and I have a couple of packs. After a time I feel they are uncomfortable. For a gig they're fine but in rehearsal, say 2 hours they start to hurt after about an hour.

I tried these ones: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0132/4702/products/EP-134_r_1024x1024.jpg?v=1369789234 but they make everything muffled. Sorta like when a walk I can hear booming in my head. It's more like everything I do is boomy and muffled to me, but the rest of the sounds around me are fine. They don't feel right too me. They're a soft silicon rubber type.

So I've been in contact with ACS and they recomend the Pro17 moulds and filters for bass playing in a band. What I'd like to know is has anyone tried either the ACS ER20 or EarPeace and then got a set of custom moulded Pro17's? If so how was the feel inside your ear? Did it get boomy inside you head with your own voice etc...?

Any help would be great.

Thanks, G.

I've been through just that upgrade path - started with the generic plugs, then moved to the ACS custom fits, and I now use these for both attenuation at other people's gigs and for monitoring onstage at my own with the ACS T15 drivers.

As far as monitoring goes, the T15 monitors are right at single-driver entry level for that kind of thing (tho better than in-ears like the Shure SE215), and some folk prefer 2 or 3 drivers, but for my ears they're fine, and I don't feel any desire to spend £300 more.

The ER15 (now Pro17) attenuation is very very good, and the custom fit moulds are a world apart from the off the shelf jobbies. They attenuate sound across the spectrum, so I don't notice any boominess, in fact for things like talking to people at gigs they're miles clearer than not having them in. At loud guitar-based gigs, they take out the harsh ringing upper mids and highs, and you can hear more of the spread of instruments. Like any attenuation, they take a little bit of getting used to, to get over the slight disjunction of lower sound levels, but as I've started with tinnitus, I won't go to gigs (or gig) without them now.

Comfort-wise, I'm rarely aware I've got them in.

Edited by Muzz

I've got a pair of off-the-shelf ACS ER20s which are fine, but also start to become uncomfortable after an hour or two. It's not that that's put me off using them though, it's the fact that I lose too much top end. Are there any out there (custom moulded or otherwise) that have a flat response?

Thanks Muzz. Pretty much what I'm after. Think I'll go for a set. I have had my hearing tested and I do need them to prevent any further damage.

Chrismuzz, exactly why I'm asking. I have the same issue as you. They're great up to a point in time of wearing them. The Pro17's from ACS sat they have a flat response, or at least the flatest you'll get. So worth a look I'd say. Check them out here: http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105&Itemid=52

I'll need to check funds but think I'll take the plunge.

One other question, has anyone compared the pro17 and pro20?

I noticed the ER20 standard ones did get uncomfortable after a couple of hours (and went from comfortable to very uncomfortable quickly), but I can't recall any time I've thought the custom moulds were uncomfortable - trying to think of the longest stretch I've had them in in one go, and that'd probably be three hours or so at a long practice session. I regularly have them in for 90 minutes at a time at gigs.

I use [url="http://www.noizezz.com/eng/"]these[/url].. the off the shelf ones are pretty good actually. My guitarist has the molded Pro ones now and says they are a step up from the consumer (off the shelf) ones in terms of fit, but about the same in terms of attenuation and sound quality.

You choose the size that fits best and the insert that attenuates is the same for both consumer and pro (molded).

I use the 17dB (Purple) for most gigs and practices, but for louder ones I have the 25dBs (Green) in my case too.

I never went back to ACS ones after I used these. And yes, quite happy having a conversation at talking volume in practices without having to take them out!

I had a set of the generic xmas tree shaped plugs and hated using them at gigs, but felt I should as I was getting a lot of ringing in the ears after each gig. I had a pair of ACS Pro17s made a few months ago and would not like to play a gig or rehears without them now. They don't just stop the ringing, they also make it much easier to hear the rest of the band.

I had some Custom moulds made at the bass show in London this year. They were really good but If you do any singing, smiling or talking on stage it is worth asking for an open mouth mould to be made as they fit a bit more snugly.
The ones I had done leaked sound in round the sides of the insert if I smiled or laughed on stage. Something aways happens to make me smile.
The Custom IEM company have been great in organising for me to have a fresh open mouth mould taken. Hopefully all will be well this time.
Oh as for the off the shelf one's, I used those previously and for guitar i found they were fine but for bass playing it didn't give me enough balance in the frequency spread for me to hear my pitch properly or manage my volume with the band. The soft foamy 3M Yellow type are only a last resort if I forget mine. I use them more for listening to live gigs that are a bit too loud.

Jazzyvee

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1403183801' post='2480582']
I had some Custom moulds made at the bass show in London this year. They were really good but If you do any singing, smiling or talking on stage it is worth asking for an open mouth mould to be made as they fit a bit more snugly.
The ones I had done leaked sound in round the sides of the insert if I smiled or laughed on stage. Something aways happens to make me smile.
The Custom IEM company have been great in organising for me to have a fresh open mouth mould taken. Hopefully all will be well this time.
[/quote]

Cheers for the hint about open mouth moulds! Nobody's ever mentioned that before and it'll save me a lot of trouble

I am using custom fit ACS plugs and recommend them highly. Prior to getting my ACS' I used the generic 'xmas tree' plugs, in the belief that I was protecting my hearing. However with the onset of tinnitus, i visited the Audiologis who broke into laughter when I presented my 'xmas trees'. Hindsight is of course 20/20 vision, ime generic plugs are a waste of time. Once you go down the custom route, the generics seem like toys.

Thanks for all this info. I just called my local PMT and they'll call me back for a time to go in and have my moulds taken. What I hadn't realised is that I can go for the straightforward protection option first and then later (when the band has a decent PA) simply remove the noise filters and install speakers to turn them into in-ear-monitors. Excellent!

As an aside, after chatting for a few minutes over the phone, the chap asked for my name so he could call back with an appointment time after he'd spoken to the chap who does the mouldings. Worryingly, as soon as I told him, he instantly knew who I was. I must spent too much time in the shop (although I don't often buy anything).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404496063' post='2493270']
I think they are infinitely better than off the shelf plugs, but not sure where they get a £160 price tag justification, myself.
Simple moulds, simple attentuator ...??
[/quote]

On this side of the water they came in at 300 euro (£240) but that included a hearing test. Pretty expensive, but they are an excellent piece of kit imo and ime.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1404761601' post='2495520']
Via my local PMT they're £139. Steep, but still worth it I reckon.
[/quote]

The best money you will spend ime. When it comes to looking after your hearing, top class protection is the only protection.

• 3 years later...