Why become a member? ×

Stingray or Sterling?

ubit

I have recently, as is the way of my GAS, started to "need" a Musicman bass . I was just wondering if any of you good people in bass land who have road tested such beasts could tell me should I splurge out on a Stingray or go for the more affordable Sterling ? I have watched various YouTube vids to try and make a decision , but it's not always easy to tell from videos just how they sound . I wouldn't want to go for the cheaper option then regret it later . I know the Sterling is a great sounding bass but just how much better, if at all, is the Stingray ?

I'd only look at a pre 94 Ray - when they changed the timber and bridge - if I was to buy another Ray. The 2005 I had after selling my 94 was a mere shadow the older model. I played a Sterling at the LBGS and was surprised how good it was considering it's a fraction of the price. A trip to GuitarGuitar for you I suspect..

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1403016537' post='2478874']
I have recently, as is the way of my GAS, started to "need" a Musicman bass . I was just wondering if any of you good people in bass land who have road tested such beasts could tell me should I splurge out on a Stingray or go for the more affordable Sterling ? I have watched various YouTube vids to try and make a decision , but it's not always easy to tell from videos just how they sound . I wouldn't want to go for the cheaper option then regret it later . I know the Sterling is a great sounding bass but just how much better, if at all, is the Stingray ?
[/quote]

I just looked up some examples and the Music Man Sterling was more expensive than the Stingray.

Do you mean the Sterling By Music Man Ray4 & Ray34 ranges?

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1403021249' post='2478948']

I just looked up some examples and the Music Man Sterling was more expensive than the Stingray.

Do you mean the Sterling By Music Man Ray4 & Ray34 ranges?
[/quote]

Now you really have me confused, I thought the Sterling was the cheaper version of the MM range

The Sterling, made by Music Man, is a slightly smaller more agressive sounding Stingray.

'Sterling By Music Man' is a separate company that makes cheaper licensed versions of Stingrays and Sterlings manufactured in the Far East!

I know, it's bloody confusing! Whoever came up with that should be fired.

Edited by dannybuoy

Yes, it is confusing, as EBMM made a mess trying to use known names for as much stuff as possible.

Originally, Music Man built Music Man basses.
Then Ernie Ball bought Music Man, and so we now talk about EBMM and pre EB.

At some point they released a cheaper Ray without make-up, and that is the US built SUB line, which is reported on BC as having fantastic quality.
At some point they released an expensive Ray with smaller body, different neck and different sound, a model called Sterling. They still produce these.

Later, they started the far East line "Sterling by Music Man", which are cheaper basses - mainly Rays IMS, models are Ray34 and Ray 35, and maybe more models.
The last implementation is the S.U.B. line from Sterling by Music Man - AFAIK even cheaper versions of the Sterling by Music Man basses. Models are Ray 4 and Ray 5

So, your question probably is whether the cheaper Sterling by Music Man Ray34 or Ray35 is any good?

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1403026554' post='2479023']
Yes the Ray34 and Ray35 are very good indeed. So good that they are reasonably hard to pick up second hand.
The question then is, do you buy a new Sterling by Music man Ray or a second hand real USA EBMM Stingray for the same price?
[/quote]

That's an easy decision to make, the used Stingray if not only for the re-sale value.

I've got a Sterling (proper, not sub or 'by') and I played it back to back with a Stingray (and a lot of other basses at Manchester Bass Lounge). Necks seemed very similar i.e. excellent. Body is smaller and lighter than the Stingray but it's not a light bass by any stretch. It's got seriously hyped actives. Mine's the 4H - single noise cancelling Humbucker with a 3-way switch for various modes.

Pretty flexible tone between the pickup selector and the 3-way tone. I generally play with them in middle position, just rolling back treble if the room is very bright. The bass-boost is huge. I absolutely love it and the red body with black scratch looks great.

I went into MBL looking to pick up a Jazz or similar and came out with this - one of the last basses I picked up in the 3 hours I was there and it was love at first riff.

Original photos...

I have just brought a Sterling Ray34, it's ok, I suppose....sort of like a good Mexican Fender....yeah it's good but it's not quite the real deal.....I can immediately see the difference between this one and the American H/S Stingray I didn't get on with last year.....The neck is not finished to the same standard, the nut is different, the battery compartment is cheaper and I think the eq range is quite a bit less.

Overall I am not taken with it, used it at my last rehearsal alongside my trusty Precision the band all agreed the Precision sounded far better than the Sterling.....shame really because I love the look of the bass

I've been around the block with Musicman basses and have found bass nirvana in the Stingray Classic with the 2 band eq, alnico pickups, mutes, maple board and 7.25 inch fretboard radius. It is such an amazing bass - an update of the original design. Buy one second hand, make sure it doesn't weigh too much (say under 9.5lbs, some tend to be a bit on the heavy side) and seriously... you will owe me a beer...

I have owned a MM Stingray and a Sterling by MM Ray 34. They were both good in their own ways but I paid £50 more for an almost mint MM second hand Stingray, than I did for a new Ray 34.

I would say if you want that sound, look out for a second hand MM Stingray or a MM Sub (the original US one) if you are on a budget.

And yes, it is bloody confusing!!

+1 to the US SUB range, they are amazing value for money. They were build it SLO where the US models are made using the same hardware and electronics. The SUB was their first attempt at a more affordable stingray, so they used less attractive cuts of wood, had less body work (no tummy contour) and used textured paint on the body and painted the neck. If you don't mind the look, they are truly amazing, and if you want a 5 string ray (not a 5 string sterling pretending to be a sting ray) this is the only option without dumping a tonne of cash on a "classic". I don't think these ended up being as profitable as MM hoped, hence the limited run. You would have thought that a company the size of MM would have had a better marketing department really, the waters are just so muddy now with their products, it surely shouldn't be that hard???

My take (and I've played countless Musicman basses)....

1. If you really want a Musicman, try a couple out, and if you still want one, get the real deal. The cheaper series of basses they make are great for the money, but you'll always end up wanting the real deal.

2. USA Stingray vs USA Sterling - Stingray has the classic tone, slightly bigger neck (not so much P bass but almost), chrome control plate due to front loaded electronics, etc.

USA Sterling is smaller, sleeker, Jazz-type neck but IMO better than a Jazz, the pickups are in the same spot but the magnet is ceramic, so it sounds more aggressive in the mids...they really do bark and cut through the mix like crazy!

Similar EQ's.

I've owned 90s Rays and modern Rays from recent production, and I have to say they just keep on improving the basses with tiny tweaks (eg the compensated nut). Fit/finish is superb on all of mine.

PS - NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING sounds like a Musicman bass properly unless its a Musicman.

I bought a RAY34CA at the Bass Show and the guitar tech I gave it to for a set up said its as good if not better than some Stingrays he's played. Got it for about £550. Doesn't stop me wanting to buy a Stingray at next years show but that's just GAS. I've got some videos on utube playing it if you're interested but excuse the playing :-D search UKFlamesey

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1403022477' post='2478967']
The Sterling, made by Music Man, is a slightly smaller more agressive sounding Stingray.
[/quote]

Should have called it The 'Erniesarseyson' to avoid confusion but it won't fit on the headstock ;)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1403020060' post='2478928']
I played a Sterling at the LBGS and was surprised how good it was
[/quote]
[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1403022477' post='2478967']
[/quote]
[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1403028075' post='2479049']
I've got a Sterling and I played it back to back with a Stingray. Necks seemed very similar i.e. excellent. Body is smaller and lighter than the Stingray but it's not a light bass by any stretch. It's got seriously hyped actives. Mine's the 4H - single noise cancelling Humbucker with a 3-way switch for various modes.

Pretty flexible tone between the pickup selector and the 3-way tone. I generally play with them in middle position, just rolling back treble if the room is very bright. The bass-boost is huge. I absolutely love it and the red body with black scratch looks great.
[/quote]
[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1403084051' post='2479513']USA Stingray vs USA Sterling - Stingray has the classic tone, slightly bigger neck (not so much P bass but almost), chrome control plate due to front loaded electronics, etc.

USA Sterling is smaller, sleeker, Jazz-type neck but IMO better than a Jazz, the pickups are in the same spot but the magnet is ceramic, so it sounds more aggressive in the mids...they really do bark and cut through the mix like crazy!

Similar EQ's.[/quote]
[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1403115427' post='2479983']
i love the USA MM Sterling. superb aggressive tone. lovely neck.. just a wonderful instrument. i just prefer the look of a jazz bass.
[/quote]

I've never been able to get on with the chunky neck of the 'Rays, but I[b][i] loved [/i][/b]the neck on my Sterling! Very comfortable and just so [i][b]playable[/b][/i]. A great bass which I only moved on because it's rather assertive tone (which I love) didn't quite fit with my requirements in my current band. The other option was to change bands - which I seriously considered! :D

Highly recommended, and you should be able to pick up a good used one on here for around £750. :gas:

Edited by Conan

I had a good look at a few at the LBGS this year. Whats the deal with the finishes on the models they had there though? they were all horrendous, the worst was a cream one with a camo green scratchplate :blink: looked like it came out of a kinder egg....

For such a pleasing shaped bass they sure come in some awful colour combinations....

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1403179701' post='2480511']
One exception, I bagged a tobacco burst RAY 34CA with a tinted maple neck early on the Saturday but had to carry it around with me all weekend, I didn't like the cream one either
[/quote]

You must have bought that before I got there.... That looks lovely.