Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD *** GB GOODFELLOW Standard / Spitfire Prototype N. 001
£949

Apothem

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1418594692' post='2631622']
does this have the GB electronics
[/quote]

The GB electronics as we know them now have been developed by Bernie over the years, especially the latest, more complex boards like the one on the Rumour and available for the Spitfire too. So, if this is what you mean, the answer is no, this is the first prototype, it is twenty years old and the preamp is based on a LF442CN chip, with two microswitches (if it had the latest Rumour board the price would also be much different...). Having said that, the sound is modern, already GB-esque.

I have taken the bass out for the first time in aaaaaaages to look at the electronics, and noticed a scratchy pot at times (just some dust from not playing, simply I have no time): I thought a little overall professional setup may be a good idea and [u]HAVE NOW LOWERED THE PRICE TO £750 OR NEAR OFFER + 25 SHIPPING[/u] to help the buyer towards it.

Cheers

Claz

Edited by Apothem

Worth saying that if Bernie saw it he would do any TLC at a very very reasonable price. He loves seeing his old basses. Although a dusty pot isn't exactly a problem! Nice to see such honesty..

I love the inline controls on this bass, rather than the up to date Rumour format.

Bump for a bit of history here.

[quote name='fingerz' timestamp='1419113582' post='2636812']
Worth saying that if Bernie saw it he would do any TLC at a very very reasonable price. He loves seeing his old basses. Although a dusty pot isn't exactly a problem! Nice to see such honesty..

I love the inline controls on this bass, rather than the up to date Rumour format.

Bump for a bit of history here.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. I always try to describe my basses as they really are, no surprises.

As I said in the first post, it is not a museum piece (knocks, dings, cracks, chips in the finish, scratchy pots, maybe the D-tuner needs tuning, I have never used it.... ) but of course all cosmetic. Scars on the body (it's full size, not an undersized body) but nice glossy neck and satin fingerboard, both birdseye. At the moment the action is medium-low (probably low enough for most) but not as low as I am used to, because it's got higher tension strings on. I have tried to switch to a set of Hotwire 35-95, quite lower tension, and in this case the buzzing is there, because of less neck relief. But I haven't got the correct hex trussrod tool, all my other basses have either the bullet or the wheel. This is why I suggest a professional setup, to set it the way you like according to your preferences. And surely Bernie would perform wonders.

The sound is obviously modern, and the EMG are known for that clear, crisp tone. So if you are looking for a more old school vibe, this is not it (just to clear any doubt, you never know...). I would keep it for what it represents, but I have accumulated six basses throughout the years (of which one in a different location) and very little time, this is why a piece of British bass-making history is up for sale.

Cheers

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1419399006' post='2639545']
This one used to be mine (a long time ago), at this price it is a huge bargain, a great sounding and great looking bass and a little bit of history, well worth a punt for somebody!
[/quote]

Thanks giblett.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...