Why become a member? ×

Erm.. Help!??

JuliusGroove

So I've just found out last minute that a gig im depping required me to play a 45 minute jazz set before the toe party band sets. I have never 'jazzed' live and slightly concerned about soloing.. I can walk through chords but soloing is something I have barely touched on if at all. Any ideas?

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1403051295' post='2479334']
So I've just found out last minute that a gig im depping required me to play a 45 minute jazz set before the toe party band sets. I have never 'jazzed' live and slightly concerned about soloing.. I can walk through chords but soloing is something I have barely touched on if at all. Any ideas?
[/quote]

Walk through the chords, but change the timing and accentuation, leaving some space and syncopating. Relax, and learn the mantra: 'Less is more, less [i]is [/i]more'.
Hope this helps.

Don't take any solos. It really is that simple.

After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then,After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then, After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then, After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then,

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1403053442' post='2479338']
Walk through the chords, but change the timing and accentuation, leaving some space and syncopating. Relax, and learn the mantra: 'Less is more, less [i]is [/i]more'.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

I agree with the "don't take any solos" approach but if you're put on the spot then @Dad3353's advice above is great - my 'solos' at the moment consist of the same basic stuff as the walking line, but with some different timing and gaps. I do occasionally throw in a ii-V lick that I've learned but I'm usually too scared to do this in front of more than 2 people in case I make an arse of it...

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1403079063' post='2479432']
After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then,After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then, After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then, After every gig I find myself thinking 'I am never going to take any solos ever again'. And then I get the chance and it's 'I can do this, I know I can do this.....'. And then,
[/quote]

I feel exactly the same!

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1403532468' post='2483609']
Oh well done. :)

Being jumped on for a solo is my recurring nightmare.
[/quote]

This, apart from 'Being jumped on for a solo' is just [i]one[/i] of my recurring nightmares... :(

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1403657873' post='2485074']
How did it go? Scrape through or was it comfortable? :)
[/quote]

It was comfortable for the most part, a bit shaky at the beginning.. To be honest I think I was fully capable it's just the nerves of it that got to me. The keys player was one of my University Lecturers (he got me the gig) so that kind of put me on edge more than anything..

We did get to play Watermelon Man though... Niiiiice

[quote name='JuliusGroove' timestamp='1403683380' post='2485160']
It was comfortable for the most part, a bit shaky at the beginning.. To be honest I think I was fully capable it's just the nerves of it that got to me. The keys player was one of my University Lecturers (he got me the gig) so that kind of put me on edge more than anything..

We did get to play Watermelon Man though... Niiiiice
[/quote]

That's always good to hear :)

On unfamiliar gigs such as this,
I've told band leaders upfront that I see bass solos much the same as I do drum solos:
One a night is enough.

Then pick a tune you are comfortable with to take it.
Watermelon Man is an easy one as far as changes go
and Summertime is another one of my choices.

Of course there is the old line,
"Bass players. We never solo, yet we always solo".

Following this approach,
when they turn and ask if you want one,
simply yell,
"I AM soloing!"
;)