Why become a member? ×

EHX B9 Organ Machine - wow!

dannybuoy

Could only squeeze in 10 minutes to test it this afternoon, but the verdict is a thumbs up! The 'bottom end' mode is very bassy, but sounds much better played with a pick, somehow the sharper attack triggers the sound better and make the organ sound much fuller.

There are a few mild tracking issues, I only tested with a 4-string passive P and for some reason a low A generated a slight warbling sound in the low end yet the top end of the organ was still nice and clean. It's as if there is a POG-like digital octave up which is stable but with a tiny bit of latency, mixed with a less stable but instant traditional octave down going on. Low E to G were perfectly fine though. I have a feeling a brighter bass with more attack like a stingray would suit this pedal more, that'll be the next test, as well as the 5-string BB.

Playing dry droning root notes, then kicking on the pedal and chucking in some upper chord notes was a lot fun!

Favorite modes were the first, 'fat and full', and the last, 'bell organ', which was a surprise as that was the model I liked least on the demo video.

And before anyone asks, sorry, too busy to sit down and explore it more today and tomorrow, let alone record clips! I'm free Thursday evening though so maybe then!

Well, I had a go earlier... and yup, it works! :)

I tried it with a high output Jazz with a J-Retro preamp. Only the lowest notes had a bit of warbling going on if left sustained, but mostly it works pretty well. Perhaps a tiny bit of latency? Not bothersome, however.
Single notes track pretty well and you can sustain much longer than I had expected without the note decaying... it just rings until it crosses a threshold and then fades quickly, so long chords are not impossible.

Where it really shines is playing chords. I'm not that good when it comes to chords on bass. I play a lot of double stops, which sound nice and big, but fuller chords sound... fuller.

So I switched to my old stratocaster...
And there I liked it a lot more. The tracking is absolutely no problem whatsoever, and bigger chords are really filling. On guitar I also find it a lot easier to play a chord and change a note or two and the pedal makes it sound quite believably like an organ.

Then I added an overdrive pedal. After the B9 it was great to add a little grit and I could just not help playing a few classic Deep Purple riffs... Pity it did not have an expression pedal assigned to the "mod" control! :lol:

So... I still don't know what I might use this for :P but I can imagine it can be a pretty cool effect for a song, to add a bit of organ here and there: it would not be a substitute for a keyboard player, but for a band who just wants to add some touches in a song or two, it can be pretty cool. On bass, playing single notes, you can get some really interesting tones by turning the dry sound up and letting the "organ" sound just add a little edge on some awesome riffage.

I need to investigate more and play around with it to see what practical uses I can find for it. The limitations are mostly my own, the pedal tracks very well (the higher the register the better, but even on bass it tracks better than just about any octave pedal I can think off, except the MarkBass one perhaps) and it sounds great... you just have to know what to play! ;)

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1404248077' post='2490847']
Thanks for the heads up guys, im guna have to go n try one when Absolute get there stock in. Rang them today and they are expecting 20 to come into stock. they seemed a bit surprised when I told them that hot rox had it in stock.
[/quote]

I was surprised too, everywhere else quoted 4th July as the earliest they expected to have them, so I thought Hot Rox might just be "preordering". But it seems they did have them in stock after all. It's the proper UK version, with the UK power supply included etc.

I emailed Sounds Great on Saturday as their site was showing one in stock - they told me they had one coming in on Monday, and that all the EHX dealers would only be getting one each as they were in short supply. I guess that's what EHX told him after selling them all to HotRox!

Had another little play today - definitely a keeper. The first 3 modes are the most useable IMHO, turn the click right down, the dry bass all the way up, and just kick on a bit of organ to fill things out - then when you want a big brash organ chord just strum with a pick or fingernails!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Never heard one in the flesh but to me it sounds pretty decent on bass and guitar. In a band setting though I can't see it being that useful on bass. Nice as a bedroom player's toy imo.

On guitar though I think it just makes complete sense. Imagine being 2nd guitarist in a band say, and being able to add this to the sound. Opens up alot of doors imo.