Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Bass Strings

lukeward2004

Hey folks,

So ive recently become the proud owner of a new Acoustic Bass, a sexy Warwick Alien STD 5, and I love it - but i despise the feel of the strings on it!

I can only describe them as rough to the touch, making me very slow and im finding it much harder to pull off my usual tricks with them. I use Elixir Nanowebs on all my electrics (love the coated strings, makes them nice and slick), but it doesnt look like there is such a thing for acoustic bass.

Could I get away with a set of nanoweb roundwounds? Or Would flats be a better option?

Just looking for some advice and experience from all you acoustic users out there!

Nylon coated strings are very popular for acoustics. I use Fender 9120 strings and love them, they are round wound with a nylon wrap, they have a sound somewhere between new rounds and flat, could be likened to old rounds, quite mellow but still have a bit of 'bite'. You'll like the feel as they feel very slick, more so than some flatwound nylons I've used.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a round tone, the regular La Bella black tapes are great. If you want a little less tension, either the D'Addario or the light gauge of the La Bellas are great. If you want more top end, the La Bella white tapes are available. If you want more an "acoustic-y" tone, then La Bella also makes copper tapes (clear nylon cover, copper windings internally). If you want a more "upright" tone, and don't mind the tension, the Rotosound 77's are the ticket.