Why become a member? ×

DIY Dirty Blonde.

Painy

My standard Corvette in bubinga but with a DIY revamp. Always loved the sound but found the plain dark brown of the wood a bit boring so a bit of self adhesive vinyl off eBay and here you go. It's not perfect especially up close but I reckon, to the untrained eye and from a few feet away, I should get away with it.
Seeing as it's a fake blonde though does this actually make it a peroxide blonde?

Anyway, be good to hear what people think.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1403278978' post='2481484']
Seeing as it's a fake blonde though does this actually make it a peroxide blonde?
[/quote]

Probably get a job on TOWIE :lol:

Seriously though, I think that looks really nice.

Great job, I think that looks fantastic.
I've got a scruffyish Warwick Fortress that I would love to do something like this to.
How easy would it be to remove - would there be any lasting 'damage' (for want of a better word) if removing?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1403285307' post='2481550']
How easy would it be to remove - would there be any lasting 'damage' (for want of a better word) if removing?
[/quote]

You can literally just peel it off no problem at all. The adhesive doesn't even leave much residue behind either. The tricky part in avoiding damage is actually in the application. When I stuck it on it was actually wrapped further round towards the back of the bass (if that makes sense) and I then had to cut it all round the edge free hand using a scalpel. The secret is to score the vinyl deeply enough that when you tear the excess away it follows the cut, but not so deeply that you go right through and scratch the body.

Maybe I should start offering this as a service ;)

Well as long as the mods are happy I'm not breaking any advertising rules (?), I guess I could work out some idea of a price. The cost of materials is pretty minimal and I wouldn't be trying to make a living at it or anything so wouldn't want to charge too much. More to cover costs than anything and I would say shipping to and from would make up most of the cost. If you're really interested then PM me and I'll have a look into it.

That's a cracking finish, I'd like to do that to my stripped Ibby GWB35 as the basswood revealed under the black paint is a bit IKEA Billy shelving unit (sounds and plays great so isn't going anywhere). Any chance you could direct me to the eBay seller you sourced that vinyl from?

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1403438933' post='2482641']
How did you do the 'W' on the headstock? Looks great BTW.
[/quote]

I did a 'rubbing' over the w on the headstock onto a piece of paper using a pencil. Turned it over and put it onto the backing paper on the vinyl then traced it firmly over the back of the paper which then transferred the image onto the backing paper. I then cut it out using a scalpel. Then just had to line it up carefully when sticking it on.
Simples....

This is my other recent project. My Cort A6. It's actually a rosewood board but I wanted the abalone effect flame decals I've added to show up better so covered it with a beech effect woodgrain vinyl first. This also covered the original dot markets. After I'd done it I felt that the contrast with the black pups and truss rod cover made the beech look a bit too pale so I've covered those too.

Edited by Painy

Reminds me of covering my first bass (short scale catalogue job) in black 'sticky backed plastic' and wrapping the white scratch plate with tin foil.... guess which Irish bassist was my fave at that time ;)

So I've done mine too.

Before
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1080146.jpg[/IMG]

After
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/8f7be1299487c54e47089442af2b9c48_zps24a29680.jpg[/IMG]

Some of the sharper points are a little ragged up close so I think I'll pinstripe the edge in black for a smoother look and to seal it (it'll also match my SR1605 quite nicely too).

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1404051964' post='2488786']
So I've done mine too.

Before
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1080146.jpg[/IMG]

After
[IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/8f7be1299487c54e47089442af2b9c48_zps24a29680.jpg[/IMG]

Some of the sharper points are a little ragged up close so I think I'll pinstripe the edge in black for a smoother look and to seal it (it'll also match my SR1605 quite nicely too).
[/quote]

Awesome! Nice to see it came out so well for you. I had originally planned to pinstripe around mine but with the much darker bubinga behind it, it didn't really need it. Think it would look very cool on yours though if you do.