Why become a member? ×

Relative pitch Android app

kyboo

Hi guys,

I hope this is the right forum for this. I just published an Android app which trains relative pitch recognition. It is inspired by Joe Hubbard's article [url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/473/ear-training/"]http://www.joehubbar...3/ear-training/[/url]

[url="https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kybu.keyeartraining.app"]Google Play link to the app.[/url]

Any feedback is welcome.

Edited by kyboo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kyboo, thanks for this! Now I'm not tied to doing this at my computer - can grab a crafty bit of ear training at the office.

Looks very nice so far, all works well. Was aiming to do 100 and see the statistics, but have encountered a flaw: when you rotate the screen, your score for that session is reset.....Twice in the last half hour I've been distracted by someone, accidentally rotated the screen while talking, and lost all my progress. Bit frustrating! Phone is Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini if that helps.

Hi Hector.

Thanks for feedback. I didn't realise this might be an issue. Android "restarts" a foreground application when a screen rotates, hence losing the stats. I will fix it today.

I have the same phone but I've turned off automatic rotation because it just bugs me ;) But I will turn it back on for testing.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been using this everyday since my last post - works very well now (and of course, the ear training methodology behind it gets a big thumbs up from me!). Have tried to do this regularly in the past using the software that Joe links to, but often the most convenient time to do it is when I'm out and about and can grab a spare 10 mins. Really helpful, thank you! 94% over 2229 trials - I'm getting there! Can't get my bloody b6 to behave.......

One more tiny request: is it possible to reduce the waiting time between notes or make it adjustable by the user? The 3...2...1 countdown - would like to make the most of my time using the app, and I like them coming thick and fast :)

Thanks!

[quote]One more tiny request: is it possible to reduce the waiting time between notes or make it adjustable by the user? The 3...2...1 countdown - would like to make the most of my time using the app, and I like them coming thick and fast[/quote]

Good idea. I will make the countdown configurable.

Hollywoodrox, I googled a bit about the device you have. It seems like some Android core functionality was modified by Samsung and works differently (or it doesn't work at all). That is hard to track down for me because I don't have that device. But if you don't mind installing my application outside of Google Play, I can create a few different versions and send installers to you to try out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kyboo, did you ever consider adding in a mode where it's possible to do the next level of the banacos exercise with two notes sounded together after the cadence? Maybe that's a bit of a stretch?

You could leave the same user interface, but the app would wait for two key presses - first touch the lower of the two intervals, then the next input the higher. In terms of sound samples, assuming the order of the intervals is important as you need to identify their relationship to one another, I would make it 12P2 (selecting two notes from the 12 possible) = 132 different sounds.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1408353622' post='2529179'] Hey Kyboo, did you ever consider adding in a mode where it's possible to do the next level of the banacos exercise with two notes sounded together after the cadence? [/quote]

Hi Hector, Thanks for your suggestion. It is already on my todo list but it will take a week or two to be implemented. Do you already hit almost every note? ;)

Getting 98/99/100%(depending on how good a day) regularly,so not too far off :)

Glad to hear you're working on it.

Another idea would be Ran Blake's (author of the amazing "primacy of the ear") triad progression exercise. Trying to identify a progression between two triads. They can be major or minor, in any inversion, and can move either up or down any interval up to maj 7th.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1408353622' post='2529179']
I would make it 12P2 (selecting two notes from the 12 possible) = 132 different sounds.
[/quote]

I just noticed that you must know a bit about math ;) Anyway, I am going to release this feature hopefully in one week time.

[quote name='kyboo' timestamp='1410943318' post='2554800']
I just noticed that you must know a bit about math ;) Anyway, I am going to release this feature hopefully in one week time.
[/quote]

I know enough to attempt things, but little enough to get in a mess when I do! Great to hear about the update, looking forward to it - so awesome to be able to chat directly with an app developer :)

How are you getting on with the Ran Blake book btw?

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1411329708' post='2558521']
Great to hear about the update, looking forward to it - so awesome to be able to chat directly with an app developer :)
[/quote]
Thanks.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1411329708' post='2558521']
How are you getting on with the Ran Blake book btw?
[/quote]
I've had it since last week but I haven't managed to peek into it. I have too much on my plate at the moment but I like the idea of having more than one methodology implemented in the application.