Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1411058374' post='2556094']
It's gotta be funky, and the UK is producing some great funk / groove bands like the new master sounds
[/quote]
I've never heard of them until recently. When i hear that something is 'funky' i'm just glad i was around when there really were some funky bands around.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1411077480' post='2556388']
I've never heard of them until recently. When i hear that something is 'funky' i'm just glad i was around when there really were some funky bands around.
[/quote]
Funny term, funk, probably like every musical label, means a lot of different things to different people. For me, the defining funk band is The Meters, and The New Mastersounds, while allegedly a Meters-inspired band, to me don't groove like the Meters at all.

Since a lot of my current favourite music comes from New Orleans, I've been watching Treme recently, and, honestly, everything on that sounds funky to me, Zydeco, Brass bands, the lot ... oh, with the possible exception of the Jazz that Big Chief Lambreaux would call 'that chinese sh*t'.

Treme:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9IJvXmB3w[/media]

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1411082975' post='2556414']
Funny term, funk, probably like every musical label, means a lot of different things to different people. For me, the defining funk band is The Meters, and The New Mastersounds, while allegedly a Meters-inspired band, to me don't groove like the Meters at all.
[/quote]
You're probably right that Funk means different things to different people. It's probably an age thing but Funk to me is James Brown to George Clinton's Funkadelic/Parliament plus a lot in between. The Meters were definitely funky but i don't hear a lot of funk in The New Mastersounds. Craig Charles seems to have an endless supply of groups playing live on his programme on 6 Radio. Great musicians but 'devoid o' funk' as Mr Clinton might say. Perhaps there should be a new (if there isn't already) term, Smooth Funk. :)

I just prefer my Funk a little rougher around the edges.

Edited by BetaFunk