Why become a member? ×

June Composition Challenge - VOTING!

Skol303

A last minute vote from me! And a very difficult choice this month… I think Dad3353, lurksalot and Bilbo did the best job of capturing the image. Dad a very deserving favourite (great track mate!). Lurks with beautiful shades of Vangelis. Bilbo with a brilliantly composed and atmospheric piece, that wouldn’t be out of place on film. Really nice atmospheric stuff from you chaps.

I loved Stu’s mellow playing; and Mr Small’s funky take on it (reminded me a lot of early Ninja Tune releases).

Which just leaves Rob (aka RockfordStone) as my chosen favourite this month. A really good song, nice use of samples and as I think Bilbo mentioned, a suitable doff of the cap to classic Floyd. Very nice indeed. Stuck in my head for a day or two, which is always a good sign ;)

Well well well..! What a turn-up for the book..! Despite great entries from fellow BCers, my effort has apparently struck a chord..! Thanks to all who entered, and thanks to all who voted for my entry. I must also thank my parents, my manager and...
Enough, already... Here's the lowdown on this month's compo...

The very beginning is an enormous cracking thump. There seem to be echoes; strange, this is a void. Some lesser booms herald the marking of the existence of time, at first hesitant; slowly establishing its reality. A crackle of static and gas breathes life and substance to the nothingness. The respiration of the universe will be maintained until the end, with storms of hydrogen, followed by radiation bursts. A galactic background reveals itself, pursuing a living pulse beating time to the birth of stars.
Is that a melody..? Of sorts; there seems to be a theme in there, punctuated by mesmerising spikes trapped in the cosmos.
We become aware of that which has always been, and will insist until the end. Has it always been there..? When did it start..? The crushing magnificence will grow and amplify to eventually overcome all, obliterate the very stuff of space and leave no choice but to be in total awe. All is now stated, all is at one. There is nothing again, there is nothing more. What else could there be..?

Once the 'storyboard' established, it's a matter of setting up a suitable set of drums for the (sumptuous...) occasion, and hunt down the required sounds from my preferred sample collection sites. I choose the orchestral ambience which fits the bill and fire up Reaper.
My fairly primitive PC has been quite capricious of late. Sound went down a while ago, so I acquired a Behringer UCA202, which in turn started playing up, what with ASIO, and drivers, and Reaper, and electrical storms and power cuts and... The list goes on. With all that in mind, and knowing that my system will collapse at any minute, and may not start up easily, if at all, I keep at it for about 8 hours. Obviously, there are intermediate 'save' points, but other than that it's a continuous run from start to finish. Final 'mastering', final listen through, and it's upload time, hoping that the connection holds up for the duration. A quick check that it's 'on line' and a quick post to the Challenge thread and I'm off to bed. The Earl Grey has done its work; I can rest in peace. That's the story behind the birth of the Universe, 'From Nothing To All'.
I'm patiently awaiting some upgrade elements which will (hopefully...) allow me to construct a more stable, although definitely still modest, system. Until then, it's string and sticking plaster (well, not really, but you get the idea...). Decidedly Heath Robinson.
Onward and upward, PM with pic sent to Skol for the next Challenge. You'll not, perhaps, be surprised by the choice of subject; enjoy...

PS: My vote went to lurks, who seemed to have a somewhat similar approach; I really liked the evolution and build-up. Well done, squire.

Edited by Dad3353

[size=5][color=#b22222][b]July's challenge is now up![/b][/color][/size]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240144-july-composition-challenge-get-recording/"][size=5]GO HERE[/size][/url]

Again, well done to Dad3353 and everyone else who entered in June. Sterling work, as always :)

[quote name='AL-the-Bassman' timestamp='1404174806' post='2490069']
Well Done Dad :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Thanks, Al; a lucky strike, though, I'm afraid. Fancy a bash at the July Challenge..?

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1404235753' post='2490677']...oh and thanks :D
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]