Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 and / or JJ Burnel 500

doctorbass

I'm considering one of these and would like to hear from anyone who uses, or has used the JJ 500. I cant find one anywhere to try and while I'm not after sounding like Mr Burnel, I like the idea of the 500 EVO with a graphic EQ.

Any experiences appreciated, particularly comparing the two.

Just using the JJ-500 won't make you sound like Mr Burnel. For one thing, the amp doesn't do dirt, grit or drive of any kind. It's a really clean sounding amp.
It's loud and the 12 band graphic is really powerful. The Harmonic generator, or whatever it's called, is useful for getting a bit of "sparkle" (can't think of a better word) back.
I really like mine, even if I got another amp I'd keep the JJ-500.

The JJ is based on the MK-500, so think Mark King and not JJ Burnel and that is probably a better idea of how the amp sounds.

Edited by bartelby

I've worked on a Stranglers gig & he uses both the JJ for the 10" cabs & the ABM for the 15" , I've tried the MK version & I think the voicing is different , Personally I like the ABM especially that they now do a lighter version & that has overdrive , compression & octaver everything I need on a gig .

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1405356794' post='2501177']
just stay away from Ashdown cabs!
[/quote]
Unless you're looking for a well made, reliable and (subjectively) very good sounding cab that's designed to compliment an ashdown head. B)

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1403599259' post='2484200']
I'm considering one of these and would like to hear from anyone who uses, or has used the JJ 500. I cant find one anywhere to try and while I'm not after sounding like Mr Burnel, I like the idea of the 500 EVO with a graphic EQ.

Any experiences appreciated, particularly comparing the two.
[/quote]

FYI PMT's Birmingham store have a JJ 500 in stock

• 3 months later...

I've seen a video of JJ using the MK heads , personally I don't think there is any difference between the two As I have tried both & think they are excellent . At the moment I use the ABM 400RH as that has a built in drive, compression & octave that is useful for me . Interestingly JJ uses the graphic head for the 4 x 10 cabs & a ABM for the 15s & none of the overdrive is used at all .But there is a small Korg all in one practice type gadget that is used to add distortion via the PA .