Why become a member? ×

'ey up

ManchesterWill

Alright there bass chatters. Joined the forum about a month ago and have been sneaking in the shadows for a while. TBH my main reason for joining was because I'm soon to try selling/trading my bass, but it didn't take long for me to see I'll be sticking around long after that, there's so much on here!

I now Iive in Manchester, am a primary teacher, and have played bass in my spare time (church gospel band, live jazz/funk band) for about 14 years. Back in 2002 I bought a beautiful teal green MM Stingray, which has been my main instrument ever since. Love the tone and feel of it, but more recently have been much more into the P-bass tone, so I'll be letting her go soon to get myself a P instead.

So, before I pop up on the for sale forum, I thought I'd say hello and make myself known! Thanks for the acronyms thread btw, I've been wondering what GAS means for a while now! Now I know.

I've never sold anything this big online before, and tbh would prefer to exchange in person, but anyone got any tips for doing an online sale right so that you or the buyer don't get ripped off?

Right that'll do for now, see you all about!

Cheers,

Will

[quote name='ManchesterWill' timestamp='1403703250' post='2485456']
...anyone got any tips for doing an online sale right so that you or the buyer don't get ripped off?
[/quote]

Hey Will, welcome to the forum. :)

Firstly - you are unlikely to be ripped off on this forum - but it's just as well to check the feedback of potential buyers in the, er... 'Feedback' forum. If they have a decent BC reputation then you're golden, pretty much.

Secondly - always make sure you have received the payment (cleared funds) before despatch. I always ask for a bank transfer. PayPal is OK on this forum, but generally I avoid it because of 1). The excessive fees and 2). The payment can easily be reversed if the buyer claims they didn't receive the bass... which brings me to...

Thirdly - when sending a bass make sure it's very well packed, preferably in bubble wrap in a hard case then a cardboard box. Use a proper courier and a method where the courier requires a signature on delivery. Then you can prove it has been received. Also get a tracking number so you can PM the buyer an ETA and tracking information. It always helps if they know which day to expect delivery.

It's generally a waste of money paying for extra insurance - most courier companies will happily take your cash for 'enhancement', but musical instruments inevitably are not covered. If your consignment is properly packed and tracked you shouldn't have too many problems. Hope this helps!

Edited by discreet

• 3 weeks later...