Why become a member? ×

Jason Newsted's sound.

JazzBassfreak

Right this is annoying me more than I can express. Big Newsted fan blah blah blah, I want that awesome sound he had back in the 80's.

http://youtu.be/vFcCOaJeGwA

Past the 8.30 mark in this video. I have a Sansamp and a Digitech Bass Synth and a few bits, but what I don't have is a chorus. The Bass synth seems to suck the bass out of everything and the Morley Power wah I have Is a guitar wah that again sucks the bass out of everything. HELP.

Cheers!

Meddle, Newsted's sound for all the mid to latter Metallica tours came courtesy of these -

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/petary791gear/Pedalboards/jason_newsted_rackboard.jpg[/IMG]

It's not a great photo but basically, he's got:
- MXR Phase 100
- Boss BF-2 Flanger
- Boss CH-1 Chorus
- Sansamp Bass Driver DI
- (I can't make out the silver pedal to the left of the Sansamp)

As for his amps, he just had 2 cases of Ampeg SVT-2 Pros racked up with switchers and power conditioners as shown below. The right rack was basically for his back up amp, personal mixing desk and rack drawer.

His outboard effects that he had on stage were Cliff Burton's Russian Big Muff and Morley Power Wah Boost although towards the latter years he started to use the Dunlop 105Q bass wah.

So yeah, to get his tone, you basically need a Sansamp, a chorus pedal, a flanger and a phaser for all the effects. As you see, his EQ was nearly bass cut with mids and highs boosted.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1403724863' post='2485707']
That sound is pretty nuts. If you mean the solo with the wah effect, it sounds like a 3-way split of clean signal, an octave-down effect and a fairly strong wah. This sound won't work as a single chain, you need to do a three-way split.
[/quote]

I'm abit of a noob at effects..

A Zoom MS-60B might be the answer. You can blend each effect with the dry tone, and have 4 effects at once, therefore retaining lots of low-end that individual pedals may be cutting. It's the only pedal I use for live stuff now for that very reason. An 80/20 dry/wet mix is about perfect for layering effects, while still cutting through.
You can go heavier on the blend for chorus effects for that glassy tone, but distortions, synths, and wahs work best at lower levels.

• 1 month later...

I used to get something simular with a octive pedal, Jim dunlop crybaby & a dod distorsion pedal.
In a small sweaty club full of long haired mosh heads it was near enough for me lol

By the way This the video was filmed in the 90's not the 80's lol. The black album came out in 1991 this was the tour to acompany it. although this fact makes me feel very old.

The wah he had (and uses on this performance) is the old Morley Power Wah Boost, which I believe he inherited from Cliff Burton. They look like [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/271562536960?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108"]this[/url], and sound totally different to the modern Morley Power Wahs. The below will give you a pretty good idea of what that sounds like! :o...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfiOGyMy1ag

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I thought you could get Jason Newstead's 80's sound by turning the volume totally down on your amp???

LOL... just joking. It is a shame that some of the mixes lack Jason's bass in them, the songs would only get better.

Cheers!

[quote name='Byo' timestamp='1407354477' post='2519797']
I thought you could get Jason Newstead's 80's sound by turning the volume totally down on your amp???
[/quote]

Haha! Or not even turning it on....I've always liked Jason and thought he was great live, never actually saw them, but on videos he's always energetic and fun to watch