Why become a member? ×

Phase inverting? newbie question

Thunderpaws

Ola. Have recorded some tracks using di + Mic. Now, I have read that I should invert phases, or something like that, to get away from a slightly hollow sound caused by slight differences in signal from each.

Can someone enlighten me as to how you go about this? I don't have a Scooby and my main, guitarist, man doesn't think we need to. However, I guess we won't know if we have to unless we try it and notice any differences.

Thanks for any helpful comments that come my way...

If you have a phase invert button (on the desk or DAW) it's easy enough to test. Just try it in and out and see which sounds better (less thin; fuller). Where you find the phase invert is the tricky bit. In Logic it's on the gain plugin of the stock plugins.

Quick tip that a mate told me recently is to zoom into one of the tracks - ie: making the time stretch out to the smallest increment - then highlight that track and moving it a millisecond or two forward. The difference won't be audible but the peaks and troughs will not be out of phase. You know you'll have moved it too much if it sounds like you've added a chorus pedal ;)

Yep, phase inversion and time alignment aren't alternatives when it comes to complex signals (i.e. music) - To get things in phase, you want to phase invert one signal if (and only if) the two signals are out of phase, and time shift if (and only if) there's a delay.

• 4 weeks later...