Why become a member? ×

Recomend me a micro head

Pow_22

[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]Looking for a new micro style amp for rehearsals when the SVT isn’t feasible.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"] [/color][/font][/size]
[size=5][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"]I play mainly a P bass loaded with old school thumpy flats and we play a mix of indie and classic style rock. The cab ill be using the head with is an Ashdown VS-212. Tone wise ive always chased the tone the guy gets in [/font][/color][/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"][size=5]Temple[/size][size=5] [/size][size=5]Trap[/size][/font][/color][/size][size=5][color="#000000"][font="Times New Roman"] and their song Sweet Disposition (sounds like an SVT or other large valve amp to me). [/font][/color][/size]
[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]Im tempted by the PF500 but heard many horror stories of poor QC and wondering how much warm tube like grind I can get from the gain[/color][/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]The Orange TB500 has always intrigued me but when ive heard them they always sound a little buzzy and like they are trying to hard to sound like a valve amp[/color][/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]The Ashdown LB550 would be ideal – alas prices and availability mean this one might be out of reach[/color][/font][/size]
[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]Budget wise – Well hoping I get around £350 for my TC RH450 so this plus maybe a £100 top up. Reason im selling the RH450 is to many options and bells & whistles – I like a vintage tone with minimal options (basic gain, bass, middle, treble and volume) and ability to get a bit of valve type grit.[/color][/font][/size]

I think the RH450 is what you need TBH.

If you forget all the multiple settings, all you have is gain, 4 tone knobs, tube gain and volume. That's just two more knobs than you need...

Frankly almost anything else you have mentioned so far is inferior to the RH450 IMO.

Carvin BX Series gets my recommendation every time. The BX700 is the current model, but based on the BX500 I have.

In your case, the review on [url="http://www.carvinworld.com/products/BX700"]their site[/url] from Eddie Currents (surely not a real name) might be helpful as Eddie also uses an Ampeg VST.

More and more people are discovering these hidden gems, and one of very few American amps actually made in the USA these days!

Brand new for £430 too!
http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/carvin-bx700-mono-block-700w-head/

Edited by brensabre79

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1403777115' post='2486157']
I think the RH450 is what you need TBH.

If you forget all the multiple settings, all you have is gain, 4 tone knobs, tube gain and volume. That's just two more knobs than you need...

Frankly almost anything else you have mentioned so far is inferior to the RH450 IMO.
[/quote]

Its the Shift options im having issues with. If i set all the Shifts flat and just use the normal EQ as standard it seems to be lacking any ball of heft. I think i need to learn the shift options properly. My normal EQ is somewhere like Bass at noon, treble at 10'oclock and Mids at 1'oclock with the gain driving it. This setting on the RH450 just sounds a bit weedy. How are people setting their 'shift' settings?

Like any other amp, the RH450 has its own voicing. If you are trying to recreate the sound of a different amp, you'll have to use the shift. I found that you can do a lot for the sound by playing a little with the shift of the bass and low mids. Lowering the shift of the bass, perhaps increasing the shift of the low mids can help.

Remember to to save the setting by keeping one of the preset button pressed, so you won;t have to do it again :)

[size=5][font="Times New Roman"][color="#000000"]The other amp ive considered slightly is the Ashdown Little Barsteward 30. Id love to get one for a week to really put it through its paces with my VS-212 as im not convinced it would give me a giggable tone at 30w. I worry it would just end up a distorted mush but the thought of a smaller real valve amp does grab my interest[/color][/font][/size]

I've just tried and rejected a LB30 in great condition on that very basis. Lovely tone (especially nice clear higher frequencies), but as you get it to band practice volume, all lows are overdriven and fuzzy. that can be good for some things, but not for everything. i hear it's got a nice DI output if you want to use it through a good PA.

There's a Markbass TTE500 for sale on here that might tick the boxes. Simple controls, great one-knob compressor, and whilst I've not heard one myself, plenty of people rate them above all the similar hybrid heads like the Orange, GK MB Fusion, Streamliner, etc.

I currently use the Orange but am interested in giving the TTE500, Aguilar TH500 or GK MB Fusion 500 a try at some point.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403790620' post='2486433']
I didn't get on with the micros I tried.

MESA Walkabout for me. A little bit heavier than a micro, bit not much.
[/quote]

having heard the walkabout then i'd say that it's probably the perfect head, unfortunately they are pretty rare and the people who've got them are reluctant to sell (for good reason!) and i'm not sure that you could get one for £450.

the Aguilar Th500 might be the next best thing. a few have been popping up in the classifieds recently.

Matt

On the other hand, I started off with a RH450, then went through (owned*) several micro and not-so-micro heads (inc the Ashdown Spyder, the LMIII, and then a Mesa M-Pulse and a Walkabout), and they all went in favour of a Streamliner. The Walkabout's very nice, but it's not the only game in town by any means.

The bottom line is your own ears, try and play through as many as you can, preferably with your own cabs. If you're buying on here secondhand, you can buy and try properly, and resell without losing much at all if you don't get on with the amp.

* And I borrowed an SVT-Pro7 and a PF500, too...and tried the OTB500, the LM Tube, the LM Rocker, etc...

I know it's standard and not very helpful to recommend one's own amp, but have you heard the GK MBF?

Now that I've mentioned it I believe that every major micro has been mentioned in this thread, so you're no closer. But seriously, the 'proper' tube preamp in the GK is the bee's knees. :-)

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1403775153' post='2486113']
[color=#000000]Budget wise – Well hoping I get around £350 for my TC RH450 so this plus maybe a £100 top up. Reason im selling the RH450 is to many options and bells & whistles – I like a vintage tone with minimal options (basic gain, bass, middle, treble and volume) and ability to get a bit of valve type grit.[/color]
[/quote]

I'd partly echo the sentiment of the guys saying the RH450 should do all you need. The head only really blew me away when I paired it with the matching RS Cabs. Could be worth trying your head through the 2x12 to see if it gets you nearer the tone you where after. Just thinking outside the box a bit :).

I also play a Pbass with flats.

For an Ampeg type sound, I`d look at the Aguilar Tonehammers, either the 350 or 500. I love the Ampeg sound, and when I tried a TH500 at the London Bass Gtr Show I was very impressed. Seemed like a more modern sounding Ampeg to me, but still that type of tone.

There`s also the GK MB500 Fusion, which can of course do the famed GK sound, but due to the pre-amp tubes can also, when highs etc are backed off, do a nice warm thumpy sound.

Have to say though, I had a TC Classic 450 and with Bass, High-Mids n Treble at noon, low-mids at minus 1, Gain & Spectracomp on 4 it sounded very old-school with a Precision (specially with old strings).

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1403852586' post='2487010']
During my quest ive just stumbled across a very nice looking small amp - Fender Rumble 500 V3. Anyone tried this? Looks very nice but doesnt appear to be too many stockists round my way
[/quote]

Looking at the back panel of these i think it's very similar to the Genz Benz shuttle I had, however the font panel is distinctly Fender, and the Pre-amp seems to be completely new. They seem pretty good value too, on paper at least.

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/fender-rumble-v3-500-bass-amplifier-head?gclid=CO3V28Cepr8CFa_LtAodyDYAIA"]Dawsons[/url] have them in stock with 14 day return...

Yep! Dawsons do have them in. However, I'd still stick with the RH450. I bought the BH500 recently-having also tried the RH450-which I love. And as far as I'm aware, every TC Electronic amp bar the BH250 has the same pre-amp & power amp set up regardless of size or power output, so you should be able to get a decent & loud sound from it IMO.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1403806534' post='2486711']
Have to say though, I had a TC Classic 450 and with Bass, High-Mids n Treble at noon, low-mids at minus 1, Gain & Spectracomp on 4 it sounded very old-school with a Precision (specially with old strings).
[/quote]
[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1403829171' post='2486953']
I think the RH450 is right on. Even if you don't use some of the extras on board, the stuff you do use is good.
[/quote]
[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1404491867' post='2493214']
I'd still stick with the RH450. I bought the BH500 recently-having also tried the RH450-which I love. And as far as I'm aware, every TC Electronic amp bar the BH250 has the same pre-amp & power amp set up regardless of size or power output, so you should be able to get a decent & loud sound from it IMO.
[/quote]

The Classic 450 is kind of a dumbed-down RH450. I kind of regret selling my Classic now, just for a different flavour from the Streamliner.