Why become a member? ×

Dub Siren/Echo boxes

Roland Rock

• 3 weeks later...

Surely that's just an oscillator fed into a delay unit. An oscillator circuit is an easy project build, even if you don't use a VHS case for the housing! The NE555 has been around for years ([url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/ne555n-timer-qh66w"]Maplin[/url] flog them for 99p) and there are loads of simple application circuits to be found online.

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1405635684' post='2504000']
... even if you don't use a VHS case for the housing!
[/quote]

Do you reckon he got the Faceoff Case just to mount the knobs in Cage and Travolta's Eyes and the trigger button in their mouths? ;)

In one band I used to mess around with a 1950s Grayshaw Audio Oscillator, which is a valve-powered piece of test equipment and looked suitably mad scientist-esque. I would crudely loop this with a digital delay from a Roland multi-effect box and run it all in to an old Watkins Copicat with the feedback turned way up and my thumb on the spindle to modulate the speed. The sound was quite reminiscent of that video. I must find out if any ex-bandmates still have recordings, as my CDRs have died. I've still got the oscillator, but I'm reluctant to use it without refurbishing it as I've since found out about the perils of 60 year old capacitors, ungrounded high-voltage devices and Selenium rectifiers!

Guest Jecklin

On the strength of this and in honour of my friend who used to have a small yamaha sampler gaffa taped to his guitar to play Siren, klaxon and general dancehall sounds I just grabbed Dubsirenfree for andorid.

Time to annoy my flatmates..................

Edited by Jecklin