Why become a member? ×

Orange SP Cabs

action_panzer

What do people think? The 1 speaker behind the other sounds mental, never heard them myself.

Reason I ask is I've decided to take the plunge with an OTB 500 and wondered if anyone had any experience of decent cabs to run them through as this isobaric stuff sounds like witchcraft to me!

AP

No witchcraft, just simple physics. Two drivers coupled allows the cab size to be smaller. But there's no such thing as a free lunch with physics. The price paid for the smaller cab is that the output is the same as with only one driver in a larger cab. IMO a 2x12 that only goes as loud as a 1x12 isn't worth the slight net savings in size compared to a standard 1x12.

I've got the OTB 500 and originally had the SP210 with it. I didn't really find it had the volume or the depth so invested in a Barefaced compact. The combination of these two is far more impressive and very powerful. I can get the entire studio rattling on just a couple of digits on the dial. However, I have an active guitar at the moment and I don't think it is best suited to the OTB so I am thinking of selling both pieces of kit at the moment to experiment with some TC kit. I've not listed it yet but probably will do in the near future.

Edited by CJPJ

I have been using a pair of them a while with a TB 500

Plus
Loud
Vintage tone
Big bottom end

Minus
Lack of tweeter
Vintage tone

There a like marmite you will love or hate them depending on what sound your after. I need something with a nastier top end due to a new project so mine are up for sale .

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1403913539' post='2487783']
I used the SP210 with my Orange Head for 4yrs and it never let me down. I was always getting compliments on my sound too. Must've been the witchcraft ;)

Only got rid of it to free up some cash when a cheaper Ampeg rig came up.
[/quote]

I`ve heard Tim use this rig and it had a great sound.

I have two SP212. cabinets and use the with Genz Benz ShuttleMax 9.2. They sound vintage, mainly due to the lack of tweeter, but there is also a "vintage" character in mids. Yes, they're very small and output in mids is comparable to "standard" 1x12", but the low end is HUGE, and not only for a size. I had Genz Benz NeoX 112T and Orange in comparison sounds much fuller in low end.
I mainly use only one for rehearsals and small gigs and that is more than enough for me. Two of them can easily overpower the drummer, so at the moment, I really don't need more output.
SP212 also handles the power really well - I could never get it to fart with S-Max 9.2, or GK Fusion 550 and that is something I can't say for some other cabinets I used with that heads (Epifani UL-2 210 and Markbass 102HF come in mind).

I bought them used for roughly 60% price of new, but, as much as I love them, I would never pay a full price - there are better "bang for the buck" options at £549.

Edited by DiscoTetak

There is something going on with these cabs.
I don,t know the physics side but all I know is they sound great with great width and depth ,punch and stay in control,mind you ,you don,t need to go past 12 oclock even if your a bit mutton jeff cause you will feel it.
I,ve tried loads of quality different cabs including a phil jones thing with 8 speakers in it and a hernia round the corner,they all had their own thing but for command of the situation,fantabadosie.
Any chance of a sp412 or better still-sp8x12,
I will be a guinee pig for Orange testing one of these

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1404329127' post='2491684']
I don,t know the physics side
[/quote]I do. They sound exactly the same as one of the same drivers, the Eminence Deltalite II 2512, will sound in a cabinet of twice the net internal volume with the same tuning. After accounting for the space taken up by the second driver and the space in between them the actual size savings is perhaps 40%. But most manufacturers don't load drivers into a cab as large as they should, because that's not what most customers want.

Speaker design always boils down to compromise. If you have more money than pack space an SP may make sense for you. If you have more pack space than money a correctly sized cab may be the better option. The trick lies in finding a correctly sized cab, as very few are.

Ive just bought a new TB500 and sp212. Got a fairly decent deal with 25% off the cab so all in was £930 from pmt. I think its a great sounding rig and amazingly portable. Can proper shake the foundations. Will be gigging it next week

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve just played a gig where the other band had this set-up. Agree Ben, shake the foundations is a good description. Ideal for rock/punk as a keep-it-solid underpinning the other instruments. I`d love to hear one of these rigs but with two of the 212s. I know there`s a lot of opinions and science re these cabs but I think vote with your ears. Coupled with the OTB they give a great sound, probably the best I`ve heard an OTB, imo.

• 3 weeks later...

I played my first gig with mine at the weekend in a normal sized pub doing the normal tunes through my jazz. Sounded great, proper old skool valve with plenty of bite. Didn't need my bdi or any other pedals to shape my sound. My concerns of hearing it being so small in stature wasnt a issue and I got quite a few compliments.

Well worth the cash