Why become a member? ×

Headstock Snap Repair Help

<tryingtobehelpfulpost>Please can I suggest a course of things to do to start?
1 - Tell us if the visible crack is apparently just a crack or can the top section actually be removed.
2 - Remove the headstock tuners
3 - Take and post some clearer pics so we can see what's going on. If you take a fresh, critical look at the pics you've posted, you'll see we can't really see clearly what's happening. Maybe a sideways view would be a good idea?</tryingtobehelpfulpost>

Good luck

Edit:
Is, Is that a crack through the truss rod cover?
If so, please can you remove that cover too? and take more pics

Edited by Grangur

My local luthier, Terry Chapman, could probably put it right...he fixed worse. I can give you his contact details or, if you're coming to the Herts Bash you could pop it in to him on the way (15 mins away max). I reckon it's just glue and clamps to put it right (and correct alignment obviously).

thats probably never going to look very good even repaired...if you can get the vaneer off and the headstock away from the neck I would have a go at dowels and glue. and then glue the vaneer back on

but ive never done it before so more research would probably be a good idea

Looks like a mahogany neck. Chances are that the two broken halves will mesh back together and can be glued and clamped. I've got a mandolin which has had this repair, though it was done by a proper luthier, and it's fine.

You will need to take off all the furniture, the truss rod cover and the headstock veneer in order to get the two halves to mesh together properly.

I'd have to say that a skip is the correct place for an EKO 12-string, with or without a cracked headstock :-)

Ditto what Pete says, although you may not need to remove the veneer. I'd use a sheet of MDF either side of the headstock to protect it from the clamps, but cover the MDF with parcel tape so the glue doesn't stick it to the headstock if it oozes out. If it's bare wood in the crack use some Titebond, or Evostick white wood glue from B&Q would be OK, but It looks like it might have had an attempt at a repair already - hard to see from the pics. If it has and there's gunk in the crack Aliphatic or PVA might not be the best choice.

It's in the skip because it's an EKO 12-string, the damage to the headstock is incidental. Chances are you'll string it up only to find a swell the size of Big Wednesday in the belly and action at the 12-fret under which you could drive a Sumo with room to spare :rolleyes: