Why become a member? ×

Orange Tiny Terror

Marvin

I'm asking on behalf of the 'new' guitarist in our band.

Someone local to us is selling an Orange Tiny Terror head, the all valve 15w thingys. Our lead guitarist said that it's not big enough for gigging and that she needs a 100w amp.

How loud are these little TT's? We're not a loud band, our drummer has to be told to give it some more wellie sometimes :). It wouldn't be put through the PA, we play mainly pubs and clubs.

I thought it would be plenty loud enough?

Please :D

Frustratingly it's one of those cases where 'it all depends', particularly the price.

A TT might keep up with the drummer but what's the other guitarist using? TT's are loud little buggers but crank them up to compete with a bigger amp and they seem to get quite mushy. One band I was in we had a Les Paul > TT > 1x12 and we could forget [i]any[/i] idea of clean headroom.

Another friend of mine dallied with the idea of a TT but eventually settled on the larger Dual Terror (30w) through an open-backed 2x12. Even with the extra watts it seems to get into break-up at nine o'clock. Fantastic grunty rock amp but very 'flavoured' in that Orange way.

The 'get a 100 watter' suggestion seems a bit kneejerk to me. We've been round this one before here and consensus is that 100w is overkill in pubs. IMO 15-30w should be enough for most places depending on the genre. Of the lunch-box heads I like the Vox Night Train for its spread of tone. For combos, maybe an old Peavey Classic 30 or a Blues Deluxe, though the latter benefits from some simple mods.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

A little late to the discussion, but it depends on the tones she wants and the speakers you push it through too, but like Skank said, if it's any kind of clean tone she wants the forget it for gigging volume.

Might be worth looking for a Marshall 18watt clone that you can run through a couple of G12Hs in a 2X12. It will do cleanish, and offer classic rock tones too, plus distortion if pushed with a pedal.

I've got a Dual Terror and its extremely loud through the right cabinet.

I'm using a closed back Orange 2x12 and its very 'projected' and tight.

I've been very impressed with the Terror amps...I think you can get a fair whack of cleans from the Dual, but with the Orange flavour.

I'm now seeking out a more chimey combo to have as a 2nd rig, more than likely a Vox AC30.

I doubt I'd ever need more than 30 watts.

Edited by Musicman20

I have gigged with the Tiny Terror and it does run out of juice even in a pub setting. As others have suggested, 30 watts would be better and give much better headroom for cleaner and classic rock tones. The Dual would be better. I changed to a Peavey Classic 30 and couldn't have been happier.