Why become a member? ×

Struggling to pick up a bass these days

dc2009

Hi guys,

Not been using this site or indeed a bass for a while. Lost the vast majority of my signature in a warehouse fire last summer (http://basschat.co.uk/topic/217914-everything-gone-advice-would-be-nice/page__fromsearch__1 - your guys' support at the time meant a great deal to me) and was reimbursed to the tune of £500 by the storage firm's insurers. Not enough to cover my amp let alone my basses (I used this to pay for clothes as I lost quite a lot of those too).

Anyhow, I've still been left with the Lakland and the Spear in my sig and I've played them a couple of times since, but in the past 6 months I don't think I've done so once. I bought an acoustic guitar at Christmas (cheapo Yammy) but that has barely been played either.

Not being able to afford a replacement Warwick (I bought it second hand on here for £1100, replacement from Warwick quoted as €4000+) is the biggest thing for me, just finding no enthusiasm to play recently. I'm busy with new flat/job/girlfriend etc but not finding time for bass or the desire to play is really not something I've experienced before.

I'm half tempted to sell the last couple so at least someone plays them, and then perhaps I'll pick up a P-bass in a few years time or something.

Anyone else been through a playing rut like this and what did they do about it? Is selling the last of my basses a bad idea?

Cheers,
Dan

I gave up from 91 - 95, didn`t touch my bass, didn`t even buy any music. When I started playing again, I switched to guitar, including px-ing my (only) bass. Went back to bass in 2001 when asked to join a band as bassist. Had to buy a new set-up of course. Since then I`ve not stopped playing. Ruts happen, good gear is always out there, sell if you need the money. If you don`t, keep hold, saves having to buy later on as I`m sure this period will pass.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1404001157' post='2488508']
I gave up from 91 - 95, didn`t touch my bass, didn`t even buy any music. When I started playing again, I switched to guitar, including px-ing my (only) bass. Went back to bass in 2001 when asked to join a band as bassist. Had to buy a new set-up of course. Since then I`ve not stopped playing. Ruts happen, good gear is always out there, sell if you need the money. If you don`t, keep hold, saves having to buy later on as I`m sure this period will pass.
[/quote]
I completely agree. Been through several dry periods myself. One of which saw me change from guitar to bass. Making music is in the blood, the itch will come back - just hope it's not as a drummer!

As all of the above. I had a break from bass for seven years at one point. Came back to it 13 years ago and never regreted a minute. I'm also on a break from band playing at the moment, my heart just isn't into it right now, but still playing bass most days and learning lots about music theory.

Don't look on it as a negative. Sometimes you need time out. You go away do other things that are more important at the time and if you are going to come back to bass you will. Only you can decide whether you have to sell your gear.

Edited by BassBus

You're still here, that's the main thing. Material stuff can be replaced. I'd guess it's only natural after what you've been through to feel the way you do. It'll pass, may take months, years, no point in forcing the issue. Concentrate on what else is going on in your life just now and pick it up again when you're ready. That is what I would do . All the best whatever you choose.

I didn't play at all from 1999 to 2002, didn't even have a bass,didn't miss it either. Currently I'm playing in three bands and I've taken up double bass too. It's like buses, probably.

If you want a break then take a break, there's no point forcing yourself to do something you don't want to do. You won't forget how to play.

If I lost most of my gear in a fire there's no way I'd have the desire to keep playing & start having to buy stuff again, playing just isn't that big a part of my life anymore.

It's perfectly understandable to me why you feel the way you do.

I go for weeks, sometimes months without picking up a bass; unless I'm working on a song for myself or somebody else it doesn't get touched.

Don't worry about it as a break can be a good thing.
I stopped for about 18 months and didn't miss it at all...but I didn't sell any of my gear.
I just stored it properly and got on with other things.
When I got my enthusiasm back, ( which I didn't know if I would ) I worked out that I was burnt out taking all sorts of crap gigs
so I decided I wouldn't do that again..
I am now back stronger and better and I realised how much I was coasting back then..
I don't get into situations like that again that can lead me to the same conclusion..

It's a set back... but you'll play or not, when you want to..

After 10 years playing every weekend, in 2002 I fell out with my brother-in-law (whose band I was in), got a proper job, sold my amp and gave up bass.
What an interesting time that was! I was out every weekend getting drunk and having fun like normal people do. But after a couple of years, slowly but surely, the word got out that I was a bass player and I got offered more and more gigs. I bought a bass amp, discovered basschat, found out what G.A.S. was and I haven't looked back.

Oh and by the way I made up with my brother-in-law and we were out gigging this weekend, with the old band, as if the last 13 years had never happened.

There's a moral in this story..............eh somewhere?

Gave up on bass aged 12 when the teacher at school was off sick and not replaced - played guitar off and on with huge gaps. Took up bass again aged 40, now just turned 50, in two bands and couldn't imagine being without it now. Keep at least one bass even if it stays in the cupboard for years - you'll get the chance sometime.

Also, really sorry about the fire - I remember your post at the time. Not really surprising that you have been put off.

Take it easy and let us know when you are back in the saddle (I'm sure we'll all be here) B)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1404037187' post='2488631']When I got my enthusiasm back, ( which I didn't know if I would ) I worked out that I was burnt out taking all sorts of crap gigs
so I decided I wouldn't do that again..[/quote]

Yeah when I quit I'd got back from living in the USA and was really bummed out about the live music scene over here. It's still hard to gig original music in the UK, probably harder than it was then, but gigging is less important to me now anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind responses guys. I think I might sell (on here, naturally) what's left of my gear with the hope of starting again. Can't bring myself to play what I have at all.

Anyone got any idea what a Warwick flight case is worth? The basses I can price vaguely but really not sure on the case.

At the moment I think I'll likely spend the cash on a MIM p-bass or similar. Reduce myself down to one simple instrument so that it's there when the time comes.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Cameronj.

I've given it a bit of thought and decided to move my basses on. I would rather someone played them and I'll go and buy myself a new and different one when I feel like I can play again. That may be months or years but I think it's the right decision.

Before I list them for sale on here, I would appreciate some reasonable ballpark evaluations of my basses. Up for sale will be:
Lakland Skyline 55-01 (without the custom pick guard)
Spear S2-5

I got the first in a trade and the second I bought on here for around £150 iirc.

I'll find some pics later but both are in good condition and in need of new strings.

Cheers,
Dan

I do remember your post about the fire and the insurance situation, and that was I am sure a massive shock to you, not only financially, but also emotionally.

Have you talked to anybody about what happened? I ask, as that amount of loss, albeit to what some people might see as trivial 'things', can affect people in ways they sometimes are not aware of - a kind of PTSD if you like. Just a thought - it's very easy to have a mild depression triggered by this kind of thing I'm told (although I have no expertise), and that may go some way to explain your malaise. Might be worth discussing it with a professional counsellor - never hurts to talk these things out.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you come back to playing at some stage, when you are ready.