Why become a member? ×

Not asking for much

Happy Jack

[size=4][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]BASS PLAYER [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, sans-serif]With a talent for improvisation and an ear for memorising tunes. With a love and capability of playing almost any kind of style from slap, funk, the Blues and tear-inducing ballad styles to bone thumping heavy metal power chords in the style of Whitesnake, Ozzy Osborne and Gary Moore. A keenness for experimentation with FX pedals, feedback and brutal power chords is also desirable. And the ability to wow audiences with performances of energy, flair and charisma. [/font][/size]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Full advert: [/size][/font][/color]http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/charismatic-bass-guitarist-wanted-plus-a-live-sound-engineer-london-rock-band/1071534961

Wow, that sounds right up my street!! :rolleyes:

Something tells me the advertiser is going to be disappointed, as he not only wants a bass player but a drummer, two keyboard players, two guitarists and a sound engineer. It is deluded or just very ambitious?? :D

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Influences are many but primarily ; Meatloaf, The Prodigy, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Gary Numan, Sex Pistols, Shirley Bassey, Whitesnake, Gary Moore, Movie & Theatrical soundtracks, Electro, Techno, Industrial, Rhythm n' Blues, Orchestral, Opera etc etc[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#666666][font=verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]That's quite an eclectic mix of influences - Sex Pistols & Birley Shassey - I didn't see that coming!?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1404167419' post='2490035']
They want to know your [b]height[/b]. WTF?
[/quote]

Looks like the ad may have been placed by the singer - maybe he's a bit vertically challenged and doesn't want anyone taller than him to be in the band... probably best to take a Barefaced Midget, then. Har, har.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1404209127' post='2490238']
But more worryingly, who has a sound engineer 'join' a band? And who would expect someone to job share with another spare part musician alternating playing shows and doing sound until a full-time engineer can be found, whilst 'touring professionally'? Don't they know that professional sound companies hire themselves out on a job by job basis, or get a retainer? And that a good muso is not by default a good soundman?
[/quote]

Depending on the complexity of the live instrumentation a permanent sound engineer might not be a bad thing. I've played in two bands where we had our own engineer who attended rehearsals as well as the gigs. Because of the nature of the sound sources we were using having an engineer who knew the songs as well as the musicians on stage was the only way of getting a decent FoH sound from one gig to the next.

I even know of one band (Medium Medium) where the engineer was a proper full-time band member who appeared in the publicity photos and the song writing credits.

It's not as dumb as you may assume.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1404209127' post='2490238']...But more worryingly, who has a sound engineer 'join' a band? And who would expect someone to job share with another spare part musician alternating playing shows and doing sound until a full-time engineer can be found, whilst 'touring professionally'? Don't they know that professional sound companies hire themselves out on a job by job basis, or get a retainer? And that a good muso is not by default a good soundman?...
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1404210956' post='2490251']...It's not as dumb as you may assume.[/quote]

I agree with BRX on this. The French circuit may be slightly different in some respects, but it is pretty common here, at least for semi-pro and pro acts, to have a dedicated 'engi son' who knows the band and tour with them. Some are, indeed, credited fully (and rightly so...). I was, for several years, the lights man, and went out with Kiemsa on every occasion. This ensured quality FOH and lights at every date. Great fun, too. Many bands have a complete staff on a permanent basis.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1404219222' post='2490415']
Advertising for a soundman on the internet is a bit like putting up a wanted ad for a decent plumber. They are right there- they have websites, they want your work.

[/quote]

You obviously don't live in West London ... plumbers don't want your work, they want you to beg them, on your knees, to PLEASE come and fix something trivial for an unbelievable amount of money.

:yarr:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1404167419' post='2490035']
They want to know your [b]height[/b]. WTF?
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404209733' post='2490245']
Looks like the ad may have been placed by the singer - maybe he's a bit vertically challenged and doesn't want anyone taller than him to be in the band... probably best to take a Barefaced Midget, then. Har, har.
[/quote]

Wasn't this the case with the late Mr Dio's band? Obviously there was a limit to what platform heels could achieve, but I have heard that the guitarists were instructed to spread their legs a bit further so they wouldn't tower over him quite so much. Which may have inadvertently led to the "crabcore" phase that...actually may still be going on. I've been reluctant to do research into the matter.