Why become a member? ×

Brass Nut

Thunderbird

Am thinking of getting a brass nut put on one of my basses does anybody have a rough idea what I should be looking at paying for this as I want to get a bit of an idea before I go to the local shop and ask him about doing it as he blows a bit hot and cold and if in a bad mood he quotes silly money I only go there as there is no where else near me :( Or would it be easy to do myself and do I just order a nut for a P bass or is it not that simple?

Thanks in advance :)

Try contacting a local luthier or two for a quote Paul - you won`t have to go with them, but should give an idea on costs. I wouldn`t think it would be that difficult to install/fit, but I`d be concerned about knacking the one I was taking off and not removing it properly.

Check Ebay and other websites for a pre made one, the action will not be anywhere near good enough off the shelf, but you can then take it to your local tech/luthier and ask him to cut the slots to the right depth for you. This should be quite cheap....somewhere around £10-£20 for the luthier and £10 or so for the pre-made nut. Obviously it goes without saying to check the measurements of the one you buy against yours existing nut!

Edited by Manton Customs

Save all that filing and mucking around (as long as it's the right width for your neck):

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/abm_6240_webster_nut_bass.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/abm_6240_webster_nut_bass.htm[/url]

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1404560166' post='2493720'] I've got adjustable nuts on both Warwicks and two of the Tsais. So that's four basses that don't ever need a nut filing job. [/quote]

The high point of my luthiering(?) career was to change the nut on a warwick and it was dead simple. Also the just-a-nut has been around long enough for any problems to be known and like the man says you save the money , bother and risk of doing any filing, forever.

I know they look nice but is there much/any advantage having a brass nut over other materials since you'll only hear a difference (if at all) with open strings? I'm not questioning your choice but I've never played a bass with a brass nut, nor one featuring a zero fret either, so I genuinely don't know how they change the sound and/or playability.