Why become a member? ×

July Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

Just noticed it seems to have got quite distorted going over to Soundcloud... Shame as I took lots of time making sure nowt went above 0dB.
Will have to delete it after I've dropped the levels a bit, or perhaps check on my main stereo to see it's not just my PC!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1404752979' post='2495431']
Just noticed it seems to have got quite distorted going over to Soundcloud... Shame as I took lots of time making sure nowt went above 0dB.
Will have to delete it after I've dropped the levels a bit, or perhaps check on my main stereo to see it's not just my PC!
[/quote]*

Of course, I can't know how it sounds on your system, but my uploads are less 'sharp' than the original version, and this, consistently. I think it's inherent in the Soundcloud treatment. I'd very much like to hear that I'm wrong, and that there's a way of retaining the original sound. Anyone with more experience on this subject, please..?

As Soundcloud works at a very "lossy" 128kbbs (cd is 720!) it throws lots of info away - here's a good guide:
[url="http://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php"]http://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php[/url]
And I've jus checked my mix against the uploaded version.
The distortion was due to my PC speakers being over-driven, but the 'net version is lacking a lot of the extra air'n'space I put in for super stereo, as well as some of the sub bass at 25-30Hz. there's also a strange hump a couple of minutes in - possibly compression or limiting artefacts from my mix? Should have compressed the bass at the recording stage rather than trying to squeeze every last ounce out!
Still, it's good enough for sport...

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1404752979' post='2495431']
Just noticed it seems to have got quite distorted going over to Soundcloud... Shame as I took lots of time making sure nowt went above 0dB[/quote]

The SoundCloud player notoriously squishes the living daylights out of any audio that gets fed into it. It compresses the file and probably 're-samples' it to a lower quality - basically a way of streamlining the playback system - and there's not much that can be done to remedy this (downloaded files do however retain their original quality).

I have read somewhere that the best approach is to:

1) Upload the best quality files you're able to (I use a minimum 48kHz/24-bit resolution), the theory being that the better quality audio you upload, the better it will sound despite the SoundCloud player's attempts to the contrary.

2) Leave some headroom in your mix - ie. don't squish it right up to 0db but leave a few db or more 'spare'. This apparently means that the SoundCloud player won't compress your audio as vigorously as if your mix is set right up to 0db.

...I personally don't abide by point 2), but it might be worth a try if your mix sounds like it's being put through the mangler when played on SoundCloud.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1404754141' post='2495448']

Of course, I can't know how it sounds on your system, but my uploads are less 'sharp' than the original version, and this, consistently. I think it's inherent in the Soundcloud treatment. I'd very much like to hear that I'm wrong, and that there's a way of retaining the original sound. Anyone with more experience on this subject, please..?
[/quote]

This is worth a read Dad.
Particulary No7 (LUFS), these measurements are what I have to pay attention to in the main.
http://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1404756506' post='2495476'] This is worth a read Dad...[/quote]

Excellent stuff; thanks a bunch..! I'll look a bit closer at the fine details, but at first read it seems as if I'm already doing most of that (at least, I think so..! :blush: ). I've just installed a LUFS meter for my Reaper, and I'm now treating my latest compo to a run-through. It suggests a reduction of 7.5 db, which I'll upload a bit later and compare. Looks promising, although the technical nonsense went very slightly over my pretty little head..! :rolleyes:
A great tip in there, however, on 'attack' mixing. I've never seen this before, and it will be extremely useful. I shall keep it in my arsenal for future use, that's quite certain. Like..!
Back later once I've listened to a 2nd version of my track on Soundcloud...

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1404756506' post='2495476']
This is worth a read Dad.
Particulary No7 (LUFS), these measurements are what I have to pay attention to in the main.
[url="http://www.justmastering.com/article-mixingformp3.php"]http://www.justmaste...ixingformp3.php[/url]
[/quote]

Good news and bad news, really (well, not exactly 'bad'..!). I did a few versions both locally and uploaded to Soundcloud and, to my surprise, when listening back with the volume levels carefully identical, I could hear pretty well no difference between any versions..! With or without LUFS, locally or listened to on SC, they were the same. Good news..? It would indicate that the levels and mixed contents of my tracks are not so far from the mark, it would seem, and are not significantly degraded by uploading on t'web. :) Bad news..? Well, it could also mean that my already flaky hearing is unable to detect any nuance whatever, and that I may as well record dustbins rolling down stairs, for all the musicality I can discern..! :blush:
Maybe the truth lies somewhat between these extremes; I've changed my mind, however, on the online version being 'lesser'. I've probably been listening to my local version at a higher volume compared to SC, which would explain why I thought it less 'crisp'. That, plus a certain psychological 'wanting' it to sound better once published.
Interesting experience (non-definitive; it would require a third party to really cut through the bumph, so maybe, another day...), and I learned a good few tricks, such as the existence of LUFS, and 'attack' mixing, to cite the most flagrant. I've still to find, however, the 'magic bullet' that turns dross into glittering gold. I'll just have to keep looking...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405114562' post='2499033']
I've still to find, however, the 'magic bullet' that turns dross into glittering gold. I'll just have to keep looking...
[/quote]
In search of the elusive turd polisher eh? Well it's pretty obvious that I am not in possession of one :D
Time and opportunity is not on my side at the moment , though still hopeful of knocking something together .

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1405183016' post='2499499']
I believe one of Basschats Oligarchs has a nice little sideline that can help you out.
[url="http://media.photobucket.com/user/jamest52/media/turdpolish.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: Quality ,I must invest in some , though black ? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1404754141' post='2495448']
[/quote]

As has been said, the SoundCloud player will convert your high-quality exported file to a low-level 128kb file, so what I do is compose my track as usual, then export it as a 128kb mp3 file and listen to that. Then I make adjustments accordingly to the high-quality original and re-export as a 128kb mp3. Repeat and rinse until I get where I want to be. Then, when I upload my spiffy high-quality file to SoundCloud, it will be squashed to 128kb as usual, BUT I know how THAT will sound, so all is dinky-doody. A bit more effort on the exporting to mp3 front, but worth it I feel.

Always upload the best-quality audio you can to SoundCloud - if you upload a 128kb file, SoundCloud will squash it even further and it will sound like turds. Turds floating in sonic sewage. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405199773' post='2499700']
Yes, I like it! Suits the picture very well, I thought. :)
[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-041.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[color=#b22222][size=5][b]NEWSFLASH: The deadline for entries is now midnight on Monday 28th July.[/b][/size][/color]

It turns out I'm moving house next week! [i](this is a good thing that's been a long time coming, rather than an unexpected turn of events).[/i] But it does mean I'll have patchy internet access and a boxed-up computer until Mrs Skol and I have finished settling in to our new abode. So I'm pushing back the deadline for a few days to compensate.

As you were :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1405684401' post='2504313']
can't get any inspiration this month, just not working
[/quote]

Don't panic, there's 'Help On The Way'...

[media]http://youtu.be/YR7z3cId_ZQ[/media]

Slip not..!

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405686803' post='2504347']
Don't panic, there's 'Help On The Way'...

[media]http://youtu.be/YR7z3cId_ZQ[/media]

Slip not..!
[/quote]cool i like that i've only really listened to the live stuff american beauty and workingmans dead ,i will have to get
myself a copy of this
it reminds me of steely dan a bit

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1405719707' post='2504792']
cool i like that i've only really listened to the live stuff american beauty and workingmans dead ,i will have to get
myself a copy of this
it reminds me of steely dan a bit
[/quote]

Oi..! What d'yer think yer doin'..? You just leave his 'Help' alone..! Here's yours...

http://youtu.be/xCgZxrf8nrU

Enjoy... B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1405802528' post='2505465']...Hope you like it.[/quote]

I had to give it a couple of goes, at intervals, before seeing a 'sad clown' aspect of the picture which I would never have dreamt of by myself. Thanks for that; well done.