Why become a member? ×

Noobie question!

Hi Deerhunter and welcome! My understanding is that yes, you'd be better off with heavier gauge strings for drop tunings and possibly also hex core strings rather round core as these will tend to be less compliant (i.e. feel stiffer). I'm sure someone will be along soon who uses drop tunings a lot more than I do and has more detailed advice to offer.

As mentioned above, yes, go for heavier gauge in order to maintain an appropriate tension. If you drop tune the existing set you might need to loosen the truss rod a bit to achieve the correct amount of relief (since there'll be slightly less tension in the strings). If you go for a heavier gauge you might need to adjust the relief a tad anyway.

Depends how far you're dropping. If it's just E to a D for a couple of songs I wouldn't worry. You could try a set of DR DDT Strings for this.

If its down to a C or B though you'll probably need a heavier string or it'll flap around like a drama queen.

If it's a permanent drop of all the strings you could use the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set -

If you go for thicker strings you'll probably have to make some adjustments to the bass set-up though (Nut slots, intonation, truss rod maybe) and it's not so easy to put it back to 'normal'

Edited by brensabre79

Thank you for all of the answers. How much relief should i have? I read through Gary Willis' guide and he has about the thickness of a credit card. Also, should i adjust the relief or the action, as i have recently lowered the action. I know that i might be going off topic, but there are just so many things!

[quote name='Deerhunter1331' timestamp='1404232167' post='2490603']
there are just so many things!
[/quote]

The setup of your instrument is such a personal thing. And with so many variables it can take a long time to get it just right.
There are lots of guides around on how to do it, the Gary Willis one is pretty good as I recall. Its a case of trial and error really. Get it close to how you think it should be, and go from there.

Not really - it's more about getting your bass to play as you want it to. In very basic terms, if the strings are rattling on the frets when you stop a string on the first 4 or 5 frets then your neck needs more relief. If you've got rattle when you fret up towards the 12th fret and beyond then you need to raise your bridge saddle(s). Adjust the relief first (if necessary) then the action.