Why become a member? ×

Alannah Myles - Black Velvet. Good or bad song?

Marvin

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1404230235' post='2490556']
Doesn't do a lot for me, but then again 99% of the music that gets mentioned on Basschat doesn't do anything for me either.
[/quote]

I'll count that as a bad ;)

I'd be happy to do it in a band if there was a female lead vox that did it justice. Come to think of it I'm sure the band I was in with a female singer did it, been a few years...With a bit of imagination it can be mashed together with Whitesnake's 'Crying In The Rain'.

Edited by KevB

I never liked the song but would imagine it's quite fun to play in a band setting.

I think we all get a bit 'precious' about what's an 'OK' song to play in a covers band.

If the audience like it and ask for more then it's a good song. If it send people howling to the bar or even out the door it's not so hot!

I never really liked it, but I found myself having to learn it at Christmas. Long story, but I was going to a small house party where a guitarist and (female) vocalist I didn't know had also been invited. The host wanted us to get together and provide some informal after lunch entertainment.
The others wanted to do this bloody song, so I learned it. Found that I quite liked the bass line, but the rest of the song doesn't do much for me.

Practised it loads on my own, but in the end we didn't do it at the party. The other two were brilliant musicians (WAY better than me), but they did have a penchant for mournful songs that the female singer could do whilst looking wistful. The rest of the guests only really livened up when we did Merry Christmas by Slade and I'm a Believer. I think Black Velvet would just have added to the misery, so I'm glad we didn't do it.

Edited by seashell

I thought it was ok at the time... and a decent song for a female to try and sing as her voice wasn't too bad
over a bluesy vibe..... but not a song for now.
Scraping the barrel with songs like this and there is plenty of other stuff to do..

Its only appeal was a female song in a barren field but not that great or classic a song for any sort of discerning set..IMO.
Big yawnsville..... get some imagination..there is no excuse. :lol:

It's got a stand out bass sound and upfront bass part so bass players who like a challenge should enjoy it. I played it once only before in a covers band I was depping for and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Things in its favour are raunchy female vocals, bluesy rock vibe and best of all (for a covers band) it was in the charts so audiences know it and tend to remember it. It went down well when The band I depped for played it.

Not for the indie mob or anyone who thinks the bass should be mixed down and the guitars and tinny parts of the drum kit up. I reckon you'd need something like a Wal to do it full justice - bass as it should sound IMO.

I like it too. It's a nice song with a solid bass part that, in the right setting, people seem to really enjoy. For me the only measure of a good song is if people enjoy it and with this one they generally do.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1404238138' post='2490716']

*whispers*

Who's going to tell him?
[/quote]

I've already been told I play too f**kin loud if that's what you mean lol! Can't stand bass mixed low - its what makes people dance and the ladies swoon - ask Dingus he ll tell you :-)