Why become a member? ×

Bach 2 part invention number 4 (recording advice)..

jackotheclown

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hey chaps![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I was messing around with a Bach 2 part invention, I have recorded it in Audacity using a 3.5mm jack lead with a converter for the bass. The recording quality sucks though even after a bit of editing. I will post it up here but bare in mind its a real rough recording (timing issues and hissing..) I want to know what you guys use to record bass onto a laptop/computer (software and hardware). I was thinking about getting a USB cable for my bass to laptop or maybe even some interface but I am a total newbie when it comes to all this stuff, let me know your thoughts![/font][/color]

[quote name='jackotheclown' timestamp='1404451807' post='2492701']
[color=#141414]Hey chaps![/color]

[color=#141414]I was messing around with a Bach 2 part invention...[/color]
[color=#141414]...[/color][/quote]

Note: the file suffix has to be renamed as an '.mp3' after downloading to play correctly.

Very nice, not spoilt at all by quality issues. Whatever you're using, it's not [i]that [/i]bad..! I have an Alesis USB cable which works well for recording into Reaper (Audicity will work, too...), using an ASIO4All driver. Very simple (it's just a cable..!). I also use a Behringer UCA202 USB interface which works, and costs little, but I can't recommend it, as it doesn't allow for a direct connection from the instrument to the PC (phono sockets, and 'line level' input sensitivity...). There are many USB interfaces; the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has a good reputation, but I've not tried one myself.
Anyway, thanks for sharing, and let us know how this progresses, please..?

I use a Focusrite scarlett - it's an excellent piece of kit with very low noise which allows you to connect instruments, mics, line level sources using either 1/4" or XLR leads. It also does D-A and A-D conversion and comes with Ableton Lite as well as having very low latency (i.e. delay while recording).
All for £120!