Why become a member? ×

fender 78 jazz transition with micro tilt neck?

jassbass

A 70's invention to allow the player to adjust the angle of the neck. This could be needed when the neck isn't sitting properly in the pocket or if the saddle adjustments aren't enough to get the action you want.

Is it a coincidence that these came about when the Fender quality control began to need as much as help as it could get? :)

Mid to late 70's Fender's can certainly split opinion.

Typically, they are heavy, have dodgy neck joins and can have lower standard pickups. That said, I've played many which sound awesome. Heavy ash bodies can have that affect. It all comes down to how you feel about it. The prices of some late 70's Jazz Basses are wild, and I would always chose a Custom Shop over one if the price is high, but others players may disagree, so once again, it all depends on how you feel about the particular bass. There were some lighter ones from '78, they are very very rare, but often quite nice too so worth grabbing at the right price.

Note that many people date these Fenders from the serial number, but the '78 serial number was used all the way up to 1982 in some instances so check for a neck date or decipher the pot codes if the year is an issue for you.

The dots instead of block inlays is wrong for the period so be suspicious. Maybe it had a new fingerboard (which is reflected in the price). If it has a new fingerboard, then other stuff could typically be changed too. £750 is fair if you like the bass and it actually is mostly original. Take caution though mate,

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1404504062' post='2493375']
Mid to late 70's Fender's can certainly split opinion.

Typically, they are heavy, have dodgy neck joins and can have lower standard pickups. That said, I've played many which sound awesome. Heavy ash bodies can have that affect. It all comes down to how you feel about it.
[/quote]

Yep, they can be heavy but get a good one and they really sound great. I prefer maple necks with these 70s heavy ash bodies, out of the ones I`ve had/played that is.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1404507131' post='2493413']
The dots instead of block inlays is wrong for the period so be suspicious. Maybe it had a new fingerboard (which is reflected in the price). If it has a new fingerboard, then other stuff could typically be changed too. £750 is fair if you like the bass and it actually is mostly original. Take caution though mate,
[/quote]

Not strictly true, I'm led to believe. I have one with dots and after some research apparently there were quite a few made with dotted fret boards. Although can't believe every high you read on the net. I bloody hope so though!

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1404646062' post='2494355']
Not strictly true, I'm led to believe. I have one with dots and after some research apparently there were quite a few made with dotted fret boards. Although can't believe every high you read on the net. I bloody hope so though!
[/quote]

Really, a 1978 with dots? I'd love to get a look at that. Are the pots and pickups dated to '78 too? I always thought that the transition was from late 1980....

Just to note, though many sites, including Fender, state that the S8 serial number was used for 1978, they were often used until a lot later if Fender were clearing out old necks, for instance on the International Colour series which came out in 1981 and used old 70's parts.

It could be that the info on the net is of people who have had early 80's ones with dots and S8 or S9 logo's and presumed it to have been made in '78 or '79.

Though perhaps they used some of the necks with dots and serialed E0 in 1979 to trial them? Would be pretty cool and quite rare if they exist.

At the end of the day though, I'm just interested in the Fender oddities, it shouldn't really matter at all what year the bass is :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1404647382' post='2494367']
I hope its a 78 aswell.sounds great.just put some newer strings on.sounds just like a jazz should
So far.as long as I havnt lost money on the deal and sounds like it should im happy
[/quote]

That looks sweet, good catch!

If you need any help deciphering the pots or pickup codes just take and peek and post them, The pots dating code should start 304 if they are stack pole pots or 137 if they are regular (due to the Strat knobs)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1404651842' post='2494402']

Really, a 1978 with dots? I'd love to get a look at that. Are the pots and pickups dated to '78 too? I always thought that the transition was from late 1980....

Just to note, though many sites, including Fender, state that the S8 serial number was used for 1978, they were often used until a lot later if Fender were clearing out old necks, for instance on the International Colour series which came out in 1981 and used old 70's parts.

It could be that the info on the net is of people who have had early 80's ones with dots and S8 or S9 logo's and presumed it to have been made in '78 or '79.

Though perhaps they used some of the necks with dots and serialed E0 in 1979 to trial them? Would be pretty cool and quite rare if they exist.

At the end of the day though, I'm just interested in the Fender oddities, it shouldn't really matter at all what year the bass is :)
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry mine dates to 1980. Haven't checked the pots and pick ups. Need to do a bit more research perhaps.