Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Retro Two10

gingerfish

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1414668113' post='2591975']
They seem to have an odd product development strategy. Same as the 69er one when it was launched. Most normal companies will create a prototype and take some pictures of it - or maybe a few prototypes and send 'em to reviewers etc.

This lot appear to create an imaginary product, ask people to buy it in theory ..... even when they haven't designed parts like the grill. And then, make you wait much longer than you thought for delivery. I saw someone on here saying that this is what you expect for custom builds ........ but this isn't a custom build is it?

Baffling (sic).
[/quote]

Too true it's odd, but it hasn't changed since the the main guy started it, and there is only three of them and I think another one to manage emails etc.

I would say it's more a boutique item, and you have to consider that it's highly likely that your cab isn't even been made when you order.

I ordered a compact years ago now and after a while I got an email asking if I was interested in the gen 3 so swapped to that and waited even longer. The pay off though is grand. I've taken the super Comoact to absolutely everything(,a inlay because I can ) and it's been great in everything I've used it for, and can get far too loud for a bass cab full stop let alone a small 1x12.

I like the idea of scoring two 2x10s vertically though

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1414743493' post='2592761']
Too true it's odd, but it hasn't changed since the the main guy started it, and there is only three of them and I think another one to manage emails etc.

I would say it's more a boutique item, and you have to consider that it's highly likely that your cab isn't even been made when you order.

I ordered a compact years ago now and after a while I got an email asking if I was interested in the gen 3 so swapped to that and waited even longer. The pay off though is grand. I've taken the super Comoact to absolutely everything(,a inlay because I can ) and it's been great in everything I've used it for, and can get far too loud for a bass cab full stop let alone a small 1x12.

I like the idea of scoring two 2x10s vertically though
[/quote]
The generation 3 stuff came out a week after I collected my super 12T , I was really cheesed off , & was offerd a T shirt by way of compensation .. I wish I was given a call .
Anyway the two 2 x10 looks like a good idea . If cabs were kept in stock I would have probably ordered by now & no picture doesn't Help ..& I can't stand waiting for stuff . the 12T is still a great cab after all my moaning .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414778255' post='2593252']
The generation 3 stuff came out a week after I collected my super 12T , I was really cheesed off , & was offerd a T shirt by way of compensation .. I wish I was given a call .
Anyway the two 2 x10 looks like a good idea . If cabs were kept in stock I would have probably ordered by now & no picture doesn't Help ..& I can't stand waiting for stuff . the 12T is still a great cab after all my moaning .
[/quote]

I thought they offered a one month trial/return policy?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414778255' post='2593252']
[/quote]

I was the same, with mine arriving a week before Gen3 came out, after a 5 month wait for the cab I ordered!
I wasn't offered a t shirt :( and I was also cheesed off :rolleyes:

Having said that, really liking my 2 MB cab's stacked like a vertical 4 x 10

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1414835400' post='2593746']

I was the same, with mine arriving a week before Gen3 came out, after a 5 month wait for the cab I ordered!
I wasn't offered a t shirt :( and I was also cheesed off :rolleyes:

Having said that, really liking my 2 MB cab's stacked like a vertical 4 x 10
[/quote]

I had the same setup as you dude. Sounds great on tight squeeze stages. This retro 210 gives me a hankering for tall rig again.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1414835023' post='2593739']
I thought they offered a one month trial/return policy?
[/quote]Dam!! I over looked that. It's still a pretty good cab though even though it made me feel as though I had just paid full price for something outdated .

Edited by Kevin Dean

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414848995' post='2593913']
Dam!! I over looked that. It's still a pretty good cab though even though it made me feel as though I had just paid full price for something outdated .
[/quote]

I found after a 5 month wait, I didn't want to start all over at that time :unsure:

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1414743960' post='2592766']
My PC cabs were built to order and delivered in three weeks.

Magnificent handles too...
[/quote] why mike walsh doesn't make a bigger thing of him also being an authorised Fearless/Fearful builder I don't know - the PC stuff has a great rep and you can get the Greenboy stuff made... with his v. lightweight ply and expertise - winner in my book. Admitedly my book doesn't have enough money in it to actually order one but hey ho. (and I have no idea about the handles)
[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1414845399' post='2593876']
I had the same setup as you dude. Sounds great on tight squeeze stages. This retro 210 gives me a hankering for tall rig again.
[/quote] tc electronics being trail blazers yet again?

[b] Quick cut & paste from Barefaced website:[/b]

[b] 12 or 4 ohm impedance?[/b]

[color=#333333][size=3]The 12 ohm version allows you to use up to three cabs with a solidstate amp with a 4 ohm minimum load. Many solidstate amps will run four cabs because the resulting 3 ohm load is easy enough. When using one 12 ohm cab you'll get 2/3 of the power you'd normally get into an 8 ohm cab but unlike most small 8 ohm cabs the Two10 will handle all that power without distorting so will usually play louder.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]With valve/tube amps you should use the 8 ohm or 16 ohm tap with a single 12 ohm cab, 8 ohm or 4 ohm tap with two cabs, 4 ohm tap with three cabs, 2 or 4 ohm tap with four cabs, 2 ohm tap with five or six cabs.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]The 4 ohm version exists for two reasons - getting maximum power out of low power amps if you intend to only use one cab or for using with valve amps whose highest impedance tap is 4 ohms. Two cabs can be used with amps which run down to 2 ohms. If you wish to add more Two10s and need your 4 ohm cab to run at 12 ohms then it be converted from one impedance to the other by replacing the wiring loom, crossover and rear panel - a simple job as it's a complete modular assembly with no soldering required.[/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3]It's easy when you know the answer.....[/size][/color]

Edited by taunton-hobbit

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1416495603' post='2610861']

I figure you must have this by now? If so, any review or pics?
[/quote]

Nope. No communication from Barefaced since 22nd September either. Emailed Alex on Monday and still waiting for a reply. It's starting to get beyond a joke now...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1416495829' post='2610867']
Nope. No communication from Barefaced since 22nd September either. Emailed Alex on Monday and still waiting for a reply. It's starting to get beyond a joke now...
[/quote]

This is starting to worry me because I ordered mine early October not knowing about this thread, thinking it would take 6-8 weeks as I believe I was told. Was hoping to use it on gigs in December.

I sent a "How's it coming along" mail about a week ago and haven't had a reply.

Bigwan, now having seen your wait time - I'm thinking I need to be re-setting my expectations by a long way.... :(

EDIT: - I've just rechecked my emails and Alex said the "current production queue is 1- 2 months" - I guess that is why I had 6-8 weeks in my mind.....

Edited by Huge Hands

Current production queue may be 1-2 months on cabs already in production, but the 2*10 hasn't got that far from what I can gather from the VERY limited communication I've had from Alex/Barefaced. As I've mentioned somewhere here before I'm supposed to be 1st in the queue for this cab, but if somebody at Barefaced doesn't start answering emails soon I'll be looking for an alternative...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1416498584' post='2610920']
Current production queue may be 1-2 months on cabs already in production, but the 2*10 hasn't got that far from what I can gather from the VERY limited communication I've had from Alex/Barefaced.
[/quote]

It certainly wasn't explained to me like that. I guess I have to give Alex the benefit of the doubt as I'm only just around 6 weeks of waiting at the moment, but as I'm buying 2 of these from him to help stop the fact I'm regularly pulling a muscle in my back with my current cabs, I don't want to have to gig those for another 9 months or something!

I feel your pain Bigwan - I certainly hope you get yours before me!

As a 3 man operation (recently down to 2 due to illness) and suffering growing pains (moving premises) and introduction of new technology (CNC) what is there to not understand? These are not off the shelf products.

Order a bass and you could be looking at a lead time of years from the good luthiers.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1416569387' post='2611504']
As a 3 man operation (recently down to 2 due to illness) and suffering growing pains (moving premises) and introduction of new technology (CNC) what is there to not understand? These are not off the shelf products.

Order a bass and you could be looking at a lead time of years from the good luthiers.
[/quote]

All of that really. I've had contact from Alex and, while I'm not overly happy that I haven't been kept informed, I'm satisfied that he's not making up excuses or sitting on his hands.

Something else I found out, and another partial cause of the delay, is that these cabs are to be tolexed. News to me, but not unwelcome.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1416651991' post='2612242']
All of that really. I've had contact from Alex and, while I'm not overly happy that I haven't been kept informed, I'm satisfied that he's not making up excuses or sitting on his hands.

Something else I found out, and another partial cause of the delay, is that these cabs are to be tolexed. News to me, but not unwelcome.
[/quote]

Tolex finish... nice!

I've no idea what the deal with tolex is - as I say my conversation with Alex this week is the first time tolex was mentioned. Barefaced website certainly doesn't mention it. I've no idea whether it'll be available across the range. I'd doubt it myself, at least not without a significant upcharge based on my own tolexing experiences! Horrible job! Having said that I much prefer Tolex to that tuffcab (or whatever it's called) which reminds me of the cheap PV PA my old cover band used to use, but I would have lived with it...

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1416691517' post='2612753']
anyone of the age that they remember the computer game Duke Nukem?
remember the wait for the 3D version?
Everytime I see this thread I think of that....
[/quote]

Lost months of my life to that thing. :D

Agree about the thread. I want to hear what that cab sounds like with upright. Could be amazing.