Why become a member? ×

Fender Rumble 500 Combo?

Number6

BC,

As an infrequent gigger i need to pick up an amp that is transportable (dodgy back) and that won't break the bank either. Some of the venues PA's we use aren't up to a di so i have been looking at combo's with a bit of Oooomph.

So looking at the Fender i think it fits the bill but is there anyone out there with an opinion on this amp?

Your input as ever is appreciated.

Cheers.....Paul

Hello Paul,

I have gigged once, and that was with a borrowed rig!

I have the Fender Rumble 500, it is a great combo, very loud and very light. It has only been used at home and the aux in and headphone out are a good send for practising.

I did have mine up for sale but only because it felt that I was slightly overpowered for home practice, howeverI am hoping to take it out to use in anger in the next couple of months, so withdrew it.

cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the 500 rumble head and one of the old fender neo 1x12 cabs. Not quite the same but I have gigged it a few times and I'm very happy with it. The overdrive is a really nice feature IMO and it is light, loud and to my ears sounds great (does warm and old school very nicely). That said the preset tone shaping options are rubbish and there is no mute which is a shame. Not thinking of changing my rig for what it's worth.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1405789815' post='2505304']
I've got the 500 rumble head and one of the old fender neo 1x12 cabs. Not quite the same but I have gigged it a few times and I'm very happy with it. The overdrive is a really nice feature IMO and it is light, loud and to my ears sounds great (does warm and old school very nicely). That said the preset tone shaping options are rubbish and there is no mute which is a shame. Not thinking of changing my rig for what it's worth.
[/quote]

That`s largely what the review in BGM said - leave all the fiddly bits alone and concentrate on the core tone, which they rated as very good. The vid-clips on Youtube sound great. I`ve always liked Fender bass amps, they have a brilliant tone to them, especially - imv - when used with Fender basses.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405793647' post='2505352']

That`s largely what the review in BGM said - leave all the fiddly bits alone and concentrate on the core tone, which they rated as very good. The vid-clips on Youtube sound great. I`ve always liked Fender bass amps, they have a brilliant tone to them, especially - imv - when used with Fender basses.
[/quote]

Yep. I use mine with a fender precision and it just works.

I have a Rumble 40 from the current line, and it's a LOVELY amp.

Great tone with the EQ flat, the preset tone shapes are brilliant fun, especially the 'vintage' button which turns my 1x10 combo into a tube top with a 2x15 underneath it. I have also recorded a couple of tracks using the DI and it worked a treat.

I haven't tried the 500 but if it's anything like my 40 then you would be making a smart choice.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405804326' post='2505485']
I have a Rumble 40 from the current line, and it's a LOVELY amp.

Great tone with the EQ flat, the preset tone shapes are brilliant fun, especially the 'vintage' button which turns my 1x10 combo into a tube top with a 2x15 underneath it. I have also recorded a couple of tracks using the DI and it worked a treat.

I haven't tried the 500 but if it's anything like my 40 then you would be making a smart choice.
[/quote]

I like the sound of the vintage (in combination with the overdrive), but it just gets lost when the drummer gets going.

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405805972' post='2505498']

Sounds ace in my bedroom :P
[/quote]

I only use one 8 ohm speaker so I'm probably not using the 500 head optimally to be honest. With my current set up I like the eq more or less flat with a little low mid boost and the bass backed off a little (with a little overdrive on some songs).

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1405808466' post='2505517']

I only use one 8 ohm speaker so I'm probably not using the 500 head optimally to be honest. With my current set up I like the eq more or less flat with a little low mid boost and the bass backed off a little (with a little overdrive on some songs).
[/quote]

Fair. I'm almost the same - EQ just has a little bit of low and high mid added (1 o'clock) everything else flat.

I'm liking mine more and more the more I use it.
I haven't used the GB 6.2 but do own a 6.0, it sounds very different to my ear, maybe the voicing of the cab and speakers give it it's own sound. I found settings I like that get a little break-up with a little volume, very nice for a 210, stick some 115 with it and you'd get a decent wall of bass in your face and rear :)

Late to the show on this one...

I borrowed a Fender 350 and the tone and power was so awesome and punchy, it really made me enjoy playing and wanted me to really drive the bass hard. I was quite sad when my Laney RB9 came back from repair.

Needless to say I will go out and buy a Rumble when my Laney has had its day.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406707340' post='2513849']
Late to the show on this one...

I borrowed a Fender 350 and the tone and power was so awesome and punchy, it really made me enjoy playing and wanted me to really drive the bass hard. I was quite sad when my Laney RB9 came back from repair.

Needless to say I will go out and buy a Rumble when my Laney has had its day.
[/quote]
They are nice aren't they :)
I'm even thinking of selling My Aguilar GS 112's and buying a Rumble 15 or 410 to stick under my 500 combo for practice space and the odd larger gig.
I have been offered a straight swap my 2 GS 112's for a GS 412, but to be honest I'm liking the sound I'm getting from the "budget" rumble to the Aggies atm. Lets see where it goes.

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1404485699' post='2493109']
BC,

As an infrequent gigger i need to pick up an amp that is transportable (dodgy back) and that won't break the bank either. Some of the venues PA's we use aren't up to a di so i have been looking at combo's with a bit of Oooomph.

So looking at the Fender i think it fits the bill but is there anyone out there with an opinion on this amp?

Your input as ever is appreciated.

Cheers.....Paul
[/quote]

I gig with a Fender 500 head on a 1 x 15 rumble cab and find it's more than enough for most pubs and clubs. Sound is quite good and I concur on comment about distortion IMHO.

I've got one, but gone over to a Trace Elliot head with Fender Rumble V2 cabs, class D amps seem a little to polite for my taste they are light but also big with only a top handle they are cumbersome to carry about, the EQ section is limited (a sweepable mid would be handy) and unlike some others I don't like the overdrive, to spikey for my taste, ok if you're trying to be Lemmy, but nice voicing and loud, so some would really like them, depends what you're after, not sure about build quality either some of them rattle when turned up, apparently

I might be a little late to this one, but I've been gigging my V3 500 combo regularly for about 3 years. I've never found it lacking in oomph even on outdoor gigs and it is so much more articulate than the Peavey Databass combo it replaced. The tone controls have a large effect on the sound but I tend to use them fairly neutral - the natural tone is very good. The overdrive is also very good. I don't use the tone shaping buttons though. The best bit is the light weight - a one-handed lift, which is a revelation compared to my old Peavey

again late but I've just sold my rumble 100 v3 and couldn't believe how much power it had but there are so many buttons and knobs and I can't be doing with it.

Not struck with the tone but that's a personal thing, I LOVE Markbass tone and after I sold my CMD151P for not much money I've realised that I have to have another one so it's coming on Monday. :rolleyes: :blush:

Feel a bit stupid sometimes, grass is always greener etc'