Why become a member? ×

NPD: Darkglass Duality and 3Leaf You're Doom

Kev

Not a bad parcel to receive on a Friday :)

Had a quick jam through the pair of them; Duality sounds brutal and works well with the B7K. Loads of crazy tones to be had there. You're Doom isn't quite what I expected and I am struggling to get it to do what I want, very early days yet though :)

What are peoples thoughts on these criitters?

Edited by Kev

I found the Your Doom to be a disappointment. Couldn't really get a good sound from it, although plenty of people seem to like it! One thing is, I think that whole thing about it being so dynamic is so overblown, I found it made pretty much the same sound no matter how hard I plucked.

The Duality had some great sounds in it, but ultimately I was annoyed by the fact it did not have a gain control. I found some of the best sounds from it by turning down the volume on the bass.

Neither could shake the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine from its throne! Best bass fuzz of all time if you ask me!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1404549017' post='2493594']
I found the Your Doom to be a disappointment. Couldn't really get a good sound from it, although plenty of people seem to like it! One thing is, I think that whole thing about it being so dynamic is so overblown, I found it made pretty much the same sound no matter how hard I plucked.

The Duality had some great sounds in it, but ultimately I was annoyed by the fact it did not have a gain control. I found some of the best sounds from it by turning down the volume on the bass.

Neither could shake the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine from its throne! Best bass fuzz of all time if you ask me!
[/quote]

I think the You're Doom does respond quite well to technique, particularly when muting and playing otherwise clean. I can't really explain why but it just isn't quite what I thought it would be. In a way I wish I would have hung on to my Proton to see how they worked together, but I was very underwhelmed by that pedal too...

I tend to run fuzz pedals at 3/4-full gain anyway otherwise I find they don't cut through, so the lack of a gain knob doesn't bother me really. I wish the 'gate' was a little tighter on the left side, but yes turning down the volume on the bass cleans things up. I like how it is a different fuzz sound, not copying this or that. With exception to the Vintage, which just sounded like an average drive pedal to me, I really dig the Darkglass design and direction.

I enjoyed my TAFM, but I sold it after I bought, I think, an ARC Green Muff clone, which just made the TAFM sound quite tame and weedy to be honest! Perhaps I may revisit in the future :)

Just spotted this thread ( hence the pm Kev)!

I reckon I shall pull the trigger on a Dualiity today, just depends on how something I'm watching turns out on Evilbay.

I find the Doom is a bit of a disappointment and am always running it alongside some other dirt pedal to get what I want from it, although I find it turns into a different beast at gig volumes and can get some thunderous tones from it?

Had a TAFM and sometimes wish I hadn't moved it on, fave fuzz pedal for me is a tough call, loving my grey Stache but the Prescription Electronics Depth Charge is a permanent fixture and has been for the last 2 years now. Think the Duality sounds similar - probably why I'm so keen to get one. 😃

Opinion on You're Doom has u-turned a little this evening. Jamming and recording with some Stylus loops this evening and it sounds fantastic in the mix, a real surprise as alone it just wasn't doing it for me. Sits really, really well. Hmmmm!

Great pedals :)

Well the Duality has arrived today - excellent service by Prymaxe from order to delivery took 8 days - got home and have given it a quick try and so far am really impressed by it, looking forward to the weekend to gig it. :)