Why become a member? ×

Replacing the 9V input on an old Ibanez stompbox

arcureo

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hi ya all... I have an old Ibanez BE10 (the Bass Equalizer) that works pretty well and I really like, but has a problem with its 9V-AC adapter input. It's probably either worn out or totally oxidized, because once the pedal it's on (and working) if I just lightly touch the input connector (coming from the AC adapter) the pedal switches itself off. Then by fidgeting a little with it I can re-estabilish the power connection and get it going again, but still... it's a real pain in the ass.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]You can understand that while on stage, it's very easy to accidentally touch it or move it, even indirectly, so you get the picture.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I accessed the circuit board and the soldering seems fine, so it's probably the metal connector inside the 9V input adapter jack (either the little metal rod in the center, or more likely the little metal plate).[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Does anyone know if it's easy to replace it?[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I think the component should be something like this one (just to give you a reference)[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,][/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Does someone know the exact name of that component so I can order it?[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Or it's more a hassle than anything and I should just get a new pedal and be done with it?[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]It's kinda of a bummer, though... throwing away an otherwise perfectly good pedal...![/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Any suggestions?[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks![/font][/color]

Edited by arcureo

No need to throw away your pedal - 9v pcb mount connectors are cheap and readily available, however finding one that matches the original exactly might be a challenge. Most hobby electronics places will carry them, also maybe worth asking if you have a local laptop/electronic goods repair place as they may have access to a selection from different suppliers which they hold in stock.

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/cables-connectors/misc-connectors/barrel-jack-socket

In order to get a matching connector, you really need to remove the original, you could as a temporary measure solder a lead to the pedal pcb, feed it out through the connector hole and terminate it with an inline connector like this

http://www.micronic.co.uk/store/item/581/2.1mm-x-5.5mm-dc-power-socket-in-line-connector-with-strain-relief-cctv-psu

Double check the connector diameters, as there are a few different sizes, if you need somthing other than 5.5mm/2.1mm then googling for 9v female pcb + required size should do the trick.

I've had an Ibanez power jack fail in the same way, and it turned out to be tiny hairline fractures in the PCB track around it rather than the socket itself. This was hard to see with the naked eye. So it may be worth tinning some fresh solder over the pads to see if that sorts it before replacing the socket.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1404644729' post='2494344']
I've had an Ibanez power jack fail in the same way, and it turned out to be tiny hairline fractures in the PCB track around it rather than the socket itself. This was hard to see with the naked eye. So it may be worth tinning some fresh solder over the pads to see if that sorts it before replacing the socket.
[/quote]

Yep! Exactly! I didn't see it at first, but there actually [u]was[/u] a hairline fracture on the soldering! Problem solved! B) (whew)