Why become a member? ×

SOLD 1980 Ibanez Musician Fretless - MC940 - £525
£650

Chiliwailer

[b]PRICE DROP: £525[/b].

It's a 1980 version, is set up well with Thomastik's and has a killer tone. (I can change the strings to regular light flats or used roundwounds if preferred). It has an awesome ebony fingerboard with plenty of 'mwah' indeed. The onboard controls give a huge amount of variety too which is a bonus I'll most likely miss. The bass has volume and tone controls for the passive mode (though the tone also works when active), 3 band EQ, gain control for the preamp, active / passive switch and 3 way pickup selector.

The preamp has a low background noise when switched on, I've tried to research this and some say they were always like this in the early 80's and other people say that they develop this way. I can't imagine what old components would cause this through age (I think dodgy capacitors give a sound like an earth hum?) so I believe the preamp may have always been this way - please correct me if I'm wrong [b]EDIT:(though please see the posts below which suggest I'm right!)[/b]. The background noise is similar to a single coil hum and is more noticeable when the active tone controls are pushed up.

It been well loved in the past and has marks from all those years of use to prove it. It has replacement Schaller tuners and is missing one of the gold Sure Grip knobs.

Comes with a hard case.

Cheers!

LINK TO PICTURES - [url="https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8nw6a6khvqibrkc/AADdChpIywrwjr4xetc_GGqma"]https://www.dropbox....rwjr4xetc_GGqma[/url]

[attachment=166223:P1060693.JPG]

[attachment=166225:p13.jpg] [attachment=166226:Page10.jpg]

Edited by Chiliwailer

Hi there, bought one of these new in the day (940? 924DS (Dark Stain)... more expensive than a Fender (probably due to the through-neck construction)! Great fretless tone.. the pups are a single coil design, despite the size, hence the hum... just like a Jazz. Great playing bass, really fast neck with an ebony board. Lovely, great value at the asking price.

• 2 weeks later...

Great bass, this is the same as what Sting used the first time I saw The Police live more than thirty years ago...

After that I got its little fretted brother, the Roadster RS924, which then I have kept for donkey's years... These old Ibanez are killers and built like a tank.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1407075449' post='2517043']
. (mine hums too. I found out the other night)
[/quote]

Thanks for the post mate, very helpful as I had only presumed the hum was natural to the bass - but wanted to mention it for the sake of clarity and goodwill.

EDIT: Not surprised it took a while to spot, it can be quite subtle, especially dependent on settings. :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

I've had one of these since the bad ole days and they have this incredible sweet spot. Built with love as it says on the back plate 'by the proud people of Ibanez Japan' Superb instrument. If I didn't already hove one would be buying this.

• 2 weeks later...