Why become a member? ×

EUB foot need better endpin thingy

Dave Vader

Hello all, my EUB, a big black harley benton beastie, which I've had for less than two years, is about to need it's third rubber foot thingy on the end of the "spike".

The one it came with (second hand) perished pretty quickly, and the metal tubing came through and started chewing up stage floors. So I nabbed the foot from an [size=4]old mic stand, which looked about the same, and used that instead. This one has gone right through as well now, I only noticed on saturday while playing an outdoor stage (wooden, painted black) and saw I was chewing through the paint to leave little circles all over the place.[/size]

Any recommendations from anyone as to a decent thing to jam on the end and stop me destroying the floors?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1404730065' post='2495078']...
Any recommendations from anyone as to a decent thing to jam on the end and stop me destroying the floors?
[/quote]

Good afternoon, Dave...

Could you not carry around a small piece of plywood to put down under the end pin..? Drums have spikes on them, too, so we drummers put down a rug which stops slippage, but also absorbs the aggression of those spikes. There is also the option of having a wooden end pin fitted; there's an excellent model made by a fellow BCer which could do the trick.
Hope this helps; just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404733794' post='2495127']
That cunjurs up an image of someone wearing a piece of carpet attached to the bottom of their slippers instead of carpeting their house :)
[/quote]

Doesn't everybody do that..? Why wasn't I told before..? :huh:

I got laughed at by the drummer, who's kit, sans carpeting, still did less damage to the stage than my bass. i get overly spirited and move from one bit of the stage to the other, so I'd have to kick the bit of plywood ahead of me Douglas, but nice idea. :)

Walking stick end rubber may be thicker, if not, my dog has abandoned a large rubber ball in garden, I may drill it and see what happens...

Thanks all.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1404740532' post='2495239']...my dog has abandoned a large rubber ball in garden, I may drill it and see what happens...
[/quote]

Are you sure you want the hassle..? I've never drilled a dog, but I would anticipate some reaction... :unsure:

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1404740532' post='2495239']
I got laughed at by the drummer, who's kit, sans carpeting, still did less damage to the stage than my bass. i get overly spirited and move from one bit of the stage to the other, so I'd have to kick the bit of plywood ahead of me Douglas, but nice idea. :)

Walking stick end rubber may be thicker, if not, my dog has abandoned a large rubber ball in garden, I may drill it and see what happens...

Thanks all.
[/quote]

How about cutting a hole in an old squash ball?
Would this work?
Worth a try maybe.....

Have ordered new walking stick tip from ebay, for princely sum of 1.50, looks like it is metal reinforced at the bottom already.

Are squash balls hollow?

(also spotted a rubbery triangle pointy bit on the other end of my spike, I suspect modifications by previous owner, probably just need to turn the bloody thing round....)

Yes, squash balls are hollow
I'm not sure quite how well they would work in this instance
but if you know anyone who plays squash,
these are free - they burst from time to time, after much useage....

So it's worth a try anyway.....

I have heard tales of Hi-fi enthusiasts,
cutting them in half, and using them upside-down as turntable feet,
Yes, some people do still use turntables..... apparently ;)

Edited by Marc S

One end of the HB EUB end pin has the rubber 'walking stick' end, the other should have a white nylon spike which I thought would work well on a wooden floor, as in not marking it. After chasing the bloody thing round Tavistock Wharfs stage for half an hour I decided it didn't work well.
From the audience point of view I must have looked pretty lively though :D .

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1404854845' post='2496473']
One end of the HB EUB end pin has the rubber 'walking stick' end, the other should have a white nylon spike which I thought would work well on a wooden floor, as in not marking it. After chasing the bloody thing round Tavistock Wharfs stage for half an hour I decided it didn't work well.
From the audience point of view I must have looked pretty lively though :D .
[/quote]

I know that stage. I shall not try that end then.
Thanks.

I think the squash ball might not be man enough to take the weight, but nice idea. :)

Since Ben has started making his lovely custom end pins, I thought there might be a niche market in custom end pin rubbers...things like chicken feet or a pigs trotter, or a Chuck Taylor. :)

Not sure how well it would go down with orchestra leaders though when they look over and see the bass section all have polka-dot wellingtons on their endpins...

Looks like you've had plenty of suggestions, but here's what I use:

[url="http://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Super-Sensitive_Large_Clear_Stoppin_End_Pin_Stop.html"]http://www.alangregory.co.uk/music/Super-Sensitive_Large_Clear_Stoppin_End_Pin_Stop.html[/url]