Why become a member? ×

SansAmp suggestions

rorytufano

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1405545821' post='2502995']
What is the bass retention like on this pedal? I love the John Wetton sound, but I'm worried that the Leeds is a guitar pedal... I understand it is covered by the 'Jimmy mod' which adds bass back to these pedals.
[/quote]

I use mine as a preamp into a power amp. No problems with a lack of low end. When I first bought it I used it as a standard drive pedal between the bass and the amp and there was no bass loss then either.
The Leeds is not a guitar specific pedal, it's designed for use with bass or guitar. I haven't done a direct comparison but I imagine the VT would have more low end on tap though. It depends on the sound you're after - the Ampeg tone doesn't work at all for me!
Also, you don't need to push the drive too high to get in the Entwistle ballpark. That sound is as much about technique and string brightness as overdrive. The Leeds comes with suggestions of how to recreate Entwistle's LAL tone, and it's miles off (as the Tech 21 Youtube demo shows)
I imagine if you push the pedal to extremes you would probably have to drop the lows to stop it becoming farty. I had the good fortune to test drive a Darkglass Microtubes Vintage the other day and that, combined with the Leeds, realy nailed Wetton's Red tone.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

Yes, not cheap. I went for the deluxe one as i wanted an almost direct replacement for my BDDI. The EQ is worth the extra cost for me, although to look at it you wouldnt think it cost this much.
My budget at the time was for a new head so i didnt mind too much, but now i also got the head the DG will have to go soon.