Why become a member? ×

SansAmp suggestions

rorytufano

Hi everyone,

Looking to round off my current rig upgrade with a SansAmp.

Does anyone have any suggestions of decent ones that come in around the £200 (UK/EU only) mark? I'd really like a pad on there as well to cool down the ridiculously powerful pickups on my Bongo bass! Not sure if that is something you find on these things often.

FYI, I play in a pop/rock band so want something crunchy.

Many thanks in advance!

I've used one for years, with all sorts of active basses and never overloaded the input - and there is a level control. Either the Bass Driver or the VT DI will do what you want...but ignore the suggested settings, and go careful with the eq and blend knobs (its easy to overdo it). Borrow one if you can, as they take some getting used to.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1404742239' post='2495271']
I've got one for sale that in my opinion does exactly what it needs to do. Regarding a pad, there is a level knob which allows you to quickly bring down the output you send to the amp/desk.
[/quote]

What make/model is it AntLockyer?

I was in the same position as you rorytufano, I managed to pick up a second hand Sansamp BDDI last week and I absolutely love it, adds a lovely warm tubey tone to my Ashdown amp, you really can notice the difference in sound, I would say it gives it more body and warmth to the tone. All of my basses i've used with it sound great (both passive and active). It even made my old Squier sound amazing!

It all depends on what you want, if your looking for a specific amp sound the character pedals may be better suited to your needs, I would say the Sansamp is a more versatile pedal (it comes with sample setting to give you SVT tones etc). The thing that swung it for me was the additional of the XLR, means I can D.I straight into the PA if I don't want to lug my amp to the venue!

Don't know if my opinion will help in anyway but here goes... I've owned a Programmable BDDI, a VT Bass v2 and now have a normal BDDI on my board.

I just didn't get on with the VT Bass. Could never work out the Character knob, in my opinion it overcomplicates, it interacts a lot with the Drive knob and I could never find a balance that satisfied me. I also felt it lacked a Blend knob (solved in the DI version) and a Presence knob because with cab sim on I wanted to reduce it and with cab sim off it sounded too 'boxy' and I wanted to increase it. So it never felt right for me.

I prefer the BDDI: since I have fuzz going into it I use it with low drive and I cut presence a little so I get a setting that to me sounds somewhat between cab sim on and off on the VT Bass. I also use it at slightly less than 100% wet which lets some of my dynamics and my bass's tone cut through. I used to feel the VT Bass killed my dynamics and attack too much.

As for the programmable version, I like looking at a pedal and knowing instantly what settings it has at that moment, I don't like having a sound that doesn't correspond to the current knob positions so I sold it and am much happier with the simple version.

I'll say though, that I don't like the overdrive sound on the BDDI, never really take Drive past noon, while on the VT Bass I liked it. I have a Sansamp not for distortion though, just to add some scooped warmth.

Never tried the Paradriver, could do with the Mid control, not sure if I'd be happy giving up Presence...

I've had two BDDI's and until recently couldn't gig without one. I don't use it for drive much, just to add a bit of depth with the EQ and a slight edge when needed.
A lot of people don't like the BDDI tone at first, but the trick is to keep the Blend back. This way you just mix a bit of the Sansamp SVT emulation without losing the tone of your bass. The EQ stays active no matter what.

I never got on with the VTBass either, I thought it was a bit to much for my needs. I aslo had a Paradriver which should have been even better but turned out to be something I couldn't stop fiddling with, so sold it and got my current BDDI.

I've very recently got a Darkglass VMT Deluxe that works a bit better for my needs. It's similar but rather than try and emulate just one amp it emulates eras of bass head.

There have been two versions of the BDDI, the Mark II has a few more features (and switches), although both sound the same. The MKII is more versatile when it comes to hooking it up to a PA etc, but doesn't offer any extra tone options.

There is also the much, much cheaper (£30) Behringer BDI21 pedal that gets a lot of love. It's a slightly more digital sounding copy of the BDDI, but in a band mix I've not noticed any difference. It might be a cheap way to try this effect out to see if it suits.

I`ve had the BDDI (twice) and the VT DI, stil have the VT DI and for what I want at the moment, it is ideal. I never used the BDDI in the same manner so can`t comment exactly but my thoughts were that it scooped the mids-sound a lot - which I like, but which would really not do for what I need now. Whereas the VT DI can both scoop or boost mids. I suppose I`m saying in my experience I find the VT DI to be more flexible. If you want Ampeg-tones the VT DI is a great piece of kit, I have my amp set flat and all my eq comes form the pedal.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1405277800' post='2500419']
There is also the much, much cheaper (£30) Behringer BDI21 pedal that gets a lot of love. It's a slightly more digital sounding copy of the BDDI, but in a band mix I've not noticed any difference. It might be a cheap way to try this effect out to see if it suits.
[/quote]

Always have one in my gig bag as backup. It adds much warmth and density to your tone. I've used one as a preamp before now with good results. It's not a million miles away from a SansAmp (in fact it's very close) and at this price is a no-brainer.

Yes but IMO that limits the EQ too much. For what it's worth I stuck with the BDDI because of the way it handles the mid freqs. I like, or did like a slightly scoped tone as my cab is already quite mid heavy.
Saying that I only had the blend on about 9 or 10 o'clock so it was only just colouring the tone. The EQ was normally slightly boosted in the bass and treble, with presence always off.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1405294750' post='2500575']
Regarding the BDDI having scooped mids, you can counter that by cutting Bass and Treble (and increasing Volume to compensate). That way you will 'boost' mids. That is by design and several other pedals and audio hardware use the same EQ system.
[/quote]

IME there's always a scoop present regardless of how you tweak the knobs. I just didn't get on with the SABDDI or the PARA DI... it made all my basses sound the same.

If you like that sound, you're in luck.

Ive had a Para DI in my gigbag for 5+years, and only ever used it once. I got it over the BDDI due to wanting the mid control, with my warwicks and the loud bamds I play for it pays to be able to adjust the mids, in some cases it can mean the difference between cutting through or just sounding like background mush.

After reading this thread, I broke it out last night and had a play with it to add some crunch to my sound - LOVELY. Then I cranked it up for a balls out distortion sound, and its now a new love of mine that I cant wait to try in the studio, sounds HUGE!

I was like that with the VT DI, Dave. Every practice I`d fiddle around with the settings, and all sounded good so it was difficult settling on a specific. But one day I found a certain setting and the rest of the band just looked and said "now don`t change it anymore, THAT`S the sound".

Annoyingly - as they`re not bassists - they were right.

I'd like to give the VT another go, Fran has offered to lend me his, but at the moment im going through a very nice amp change that might mean i dont need anything else to dirty up my tone.
Having now used the Darkglass VMTD (which i except ill be selling soon) i can see just how coloured the BDDI is/was, but i must admit its been the easiest of the lot to use.

I had a bit of an epiphany with the VT Bass last night as I've been using it and it has always sounded fine rather than great, but I think I've cracked it. Was persevering because the practical features are so handy rather than for the sound but I think I've got my head around it properly now, which is nice :)