Why become a member? ×

Peavey BAM210 question

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I have a Peavey BAM210 and ignoring the fact that it weighs as much as a small moon, it's not a bad piece of kit. The only issue I have is that, regardless of which amp model I select, I find I have to turn the bass control almost all the way up to get the depth of tone I'm looking for. I've read reviews that say the combo alone 'really kicks out the low end'. I run mine with a PRO115 underneath and I still find it lacking in the lows.

I plugged my GT-6B into the power amp and selected an SWR simulation. The low end actually vibrated my eyeballs in their sockets so I know the cabs are capable of handling huge lows. Am I missing a trick in how I'm EQ'ing this amp? I find myself winding off the mids to promote the lows. I could continue to bypass the preamp and use the GT-6B but it defeats the object of buying the amp in the first place. Help! :mellow:

Interesting... It's not as massive in the low end as my old markbass amp but it's definitely the second beefiest amp I've ever owned! Maybe it depends on which cab model you use? I only ever use the BAM one (no cab modelling) because I don't really 'do' deep bass

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1404835379' post='2496231']
I wouldn't mind doing a comparison with yours Chris
[/quote]

Just realised you're practically on my doorstep. Why not?? :) It's currently up for sale but it's still around for now. Drop me a PM if you want to give it a bash

Ah.. Peavey BAM - Great amp, but is heavy.
I was the previous owner of Chris's - have to say I never found it lacking in lows - not in the slightest.

Chris - interesting that you use the BAM setting, i.e. with no modelling - as that was my favourite as well, is sounds so 'pure' as an old drummer once commented!
High praise indeed as I think the modelling on the amp is fantastic.
Didn't spot that you were looking to move it on, I'll PM you details of someone who may be interested.

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1405457195' post='2502151']
I had a bam which I sold here on basschat and definitely had no problems getting bottom end out of it, I did no tweaking and just used the SWR preset. If this amp weighed half what it does I think it would be considered to be one of the best combos out there. It was only the weight that put me off in the end.
[/quote]

As I said to Chris in a PM, If I set the EQ flat (Bass 5; Mid 5; Treble 5) on any amp model, I find it very 'middy'. I usually have to cut the mids and wind back the treble a little, the bass is almost always near max. If I play the combo on it's own, our guitarist will turn to me and say "can you put a bit more bottom end in it?" to which I have to reply "No" :( . I've got the bass almost maxxed out and the DDT led is blinking away like a good 'un. With the PRO115 plugged in underneath, the DDT stops flashing but the rig still seems mid-dominated. As I said in my original post, running the GT-6B into the power section can produce eyeball shaking lows.

Beginning to think something's not right. Might ask Chris to give it a whirl when he gets back off his hols

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1405458490' post='2502166']
As I said to Chris in a PM, If I set the EQ flat (Bass 5; Mid 5; Treble 5) on any amp model, I find it very 'middy'. I usually have to cut the mids and wind back the treble a little, the bass is almost always near max. If I play the combo on it's own, our guitarist will turn to me and say "can you put a bit more bottom end in it?" to which I have to reply "No" :( . I've got the bass almost maxxed out and the DDT led is blinking away like a good 'un. With the PRO115 plugged in underneath, the DDT stops flashing but the rig still seems mid-dominated. As I said in my original post, running the GT-6B into the power section can produce eyeball shaking lows.

Beginning to think something's not right. Might ask Chris to give it a whirl when he gets back off his hols
[/quote]

In that case (assuming no problem with the amp) other variables are the bass (cabling?) and yourself (style, technique etc).

What bass are you using? - what type of signal are you sending to the amp?

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1405459413' post='2502179']
In that case (assuming no problem with the amp) other variables are the bass (cabling?) and yourself (style, technique etc).

What bass are you using? - what type of signal are you sending to the amp?
[/quote]

I used to gig with a Yamaha BB414, currently playing a Yamaha BB5N fitted with DiMarzio Area J pickups. My playing style has been heavily influenced by Steve Harris, fairly sharp attack, strings hitting the frets. Recently I've tried to raise the action a little and play less aggressively. I was quite surprised to find that a friend of mine plays his P bass with the tone rolled off. I've always played with the tone control wide open.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1405463692' post='2502231']
I used to gig with a Yamaha BB414, currently playing a Yamaha BB5N fitted with DiMarzio Area J pickups. My playing style has been heavily influenced by Steve Harris, fairly sharp attack, strings hitting the frets. Recently I've tried to raise the action a little and play less aggressively. I was quite surprised to find that a friend of mine plays his P bass with the tone rolled off. I've always played with the tone control wide open.
[/quote]

OK - would be interested to see what sounds a different bass and style can achieve.

Some of the amp models presets give a very nice think chunky sound - and then you can also eq from there as well, If I remember right the controls on the amp (for EQ, compression etc) are digital so hard to tell at first glance what settings have been set.
Are you still struggling to get a thick sound with all the permutations of amp and cab models that you can select between?

I believe what the band are looking for is a deep tone to underpin everything else. This was never a problem when I ran a Hartke LH1000 into a Schroeder 21015 (why the hell did I sell them?). The BAM can do loud and thick but dial in too much bass EQ and the DDT screams STOP! Even then, the tone is too middy for the band. I'm booking some studio time to experiment with all the different options.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the combo on its own tonight at rehearsal. I used one of the factory presets and tweaked it a little. What a difference! I actually had to back off the lows. Very happy. I'd like a matching PRO210 extension cabinet for some real bowel moving air

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1406841511' post='2515308']
I used the combo on its own tonight at rehearsal. I used one of the factory presets and tweaked it a little. What a difference! I actually had to back off the lows. Very happy. I'd like a matching PRO210 extension cabinet for some real bowel moving air
[/quote]

Glad you're happy with the sound you're getting from it now! I've still got an 8 ohm pro 410 in the for sale section which opens the options for a stupid mega upgrade later if you want a 10x10 rig ;)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1406842784' post='2515325']

Glad you're happy with the sound you're getting from it now! I've still got an 8 ohm pro 410 in the for sale section which opens the options for a stupid mega upgrade later if you want a 10x10 rig ;)
[/quote]

I think our drummer would have heart failure :lol: