Why become a member? ×

Decrepit Double Bass Player

kedo

My bass is a three-quarter Stentor Elysia, which was originally set up by Kenny McDonald of Edinburgh (now retired) and more recently, John Wilkinson, also of Edinburgh (excellent Luthier by the way) fitted a new fixed bridge. It is a great instrument, and when amplified with a shadow SH950 pickup, sounds fantastic. I have been playing for almost 50 years and this has taken toll of my back which has been a problem for some time, but has got worse recently. The problem is not in the playing of the bass (it's easier than standing with a heavy P bass slung round your shoulders) but purely in the transport. I am therefore reluctantly considering selling the Stentor, and buying something which would be easier to move around.

I'm not so keen on the 'stick' basses, as those I have tried sound like fretless bass guitars. I think I would prefer something with a cavity and sound post like an Allegro or Eminence, neither of which I have tried. I would expect them however, to sound a bit more like a traditional double bass. I saw Victor Krauss play something like this recently with Lyle Lovett and it sounder brilliant, but expect it cost megabucks!

I absolutely adore the sound I get from my existing equipment (Markbass CMD 121P combo with Fishman Platinum Pro) but feel I will have to compromise or retire. Needs must!.

I don't want to get into the realms of silly money and would have to fund it mostly from the sale of the Stentor, and I don't know how easy it would be to sell that. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of the 'electric' bass market. Incidentally, I mostly play Jazz.

I would appreciate any advice?

I've had an Eminence for about 12 years now and love it for it's feel and sound. Also tried a Yamaha Silent Bass a while back - an awesome contender for replacing the real thing. In all honesty tho - both don't weigh too far off what a real one does, they're just less bulky. The Yamaha probably ticks more boxes for you - it's a tidier package for travelling with, plus it's onboard EQ is very handy versus the pickup only Eminence.

I empathise with your situation.

You don't say how you move the bass about. My bass bag has wheels on it which means I rarely have to carry it. I regularly walk for 5-10 mins pushing the bass along to one central London venue that you can't park near to. I certainly couldn't carry it that far!

If you don't have wheels, I would recommend them as I would be in the same place as you without them.

+ 1 for the bass wheel for me. I don't have one but I have seen one in a website like Golihur or Thomann or similar and it looked brilliant for pushing your bass along the city pavements whilst in a soft bag.
I am sure that an Eminence bass or similar would satisfy your needs but they would cost you all the money of your DB sale and then you'll miss your sound IMO.

I use a bass wheel now and then. Not having one with a pneumatic tyre, I wish I had. If the pavement gets rough or I need to cross the road then I still carry the bass to avoid the wood splintering jarring as it bumps its way toward the pavement.. It's worth paying a bit more for a really good one if this is the route you take.

Consider a bass buggy [url="http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_buggie.htm"]http://www.contrabass.co.uk/bass_buggie.htm[/url] - I used to get an aching back by the time I'd got anywhere with my bass, but with this I can just push it along. It's shock absorbant so you can have confidence pushing it even if the surface is un-even. It's expensive, but it's one of my best bass buys, and I'd definitely get another if I needed to replace it at any stage. No more back ache on arrival!

Guest Jecklin

I used to use a pneumatic end pin wheel and would regularly walk a good few miles with the bass.
Don't be dropping off kerbs and the such, but the risk of damage was substantially less than lugging the bass on a rush hour London bus or tube and you aren't using many muscles to guide it around.

I'd really recommend trying a pneumatic wheel or trolley before ditching the double bass.

Edited by Jecklin

Thanks for all the advice.

I think the problem is less about moving it horizontally, and more about getting it in and out of my van and into the venues where there are often changes in level etc. Trolleys and wheels would definitely help though.

[quote name='Jecklin' timestamp='1404908978' post='2496856']
I'd really recommend trying a pneumatic wheel or trolley before ditching the double bass.
[/quote]

I agree. I have quite a nice stick - a Kolstein - but I use it where space is limited or where a double bass would make too much noise - yes, really. But there is no substitute for the satisfaction you get from playing a double bass. Instead of an EUB have you considered a 1/2 size bass? OK, scale length will be shorter but you'll get that DB satisfaction from an instrument that is lighter and more compact for taking to gigs.

I'm now using wheels for some of the longer get-in routes: I have one of those folding trolleys, I put the bass on it standing up and tie a bungee round the bass and handle. I can also use it for bringing in the amp, wire bag etc.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1404930858' post='2497152']
I see there's a guy considering selling a 1/2 size - from Glasgow. Well, it's closer to you than Watford.
[/quote]

Here's a link to that sale; it's fresh off the press..!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240755-andreas-zeller-12-size-double-bass/page__fromsearch__1"]1/2-size DB For Sale...[/url]

Hope this helps...

I know what you mean
I'm a bit younger than yourself, but I get plenty of aches & pains!
As you say, it's getting it in & out of the car is difficult enough
I'm in a 3 storey house, and getting my DB up & down several flights of stairs was bad enough

I luckily saw one of these for sale on here - and bought it right away
You don't see many of them in the UK
I had previously seen one being played at Cambridge Folk Fest
and thought it looked neat

It's a David Gage "Czech Ease" bass
The body is quite a bit smaller than the usual Db, but it's still a 3/4 scale
I find it easier to cart about - mind you, the case is pretty heavy, at least it's on wheels
http://www.davidgage.com/store/index.php?cPath=26

I'm glad I bought mine
Anyhow, you can also buy folding double basses
or as others have said, try a 1/2 size
There's one in a local shop, and it really does look smaller + easier to lug around

Let us know what you decide anyway

Also, yes stick basses can sound & feel more like a big fretless,
but you could also consider something like one of these...
They do have a small acoustic chamber, so there should be some resonance
which if you use a decent pickup, should sound much more like your DB

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/electric-double-bass-/121379275826?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c42c4c432

Double basses vary greatly in weight. I had two for a while, one laminate, one carved and the laminate was considerably heavier even though they had almost identical dimensions.

A friend of mine recently bought a new bass and it's heavier again than my old laminate, it's a real lump of a thing. Sounds great but I would not want to be lugging it around and I'm a good 6" bigger than him!

So it might be worth you checking out some alternative basses to see if you can find something lighter. Unless you know that your existing bass is particularly light?