Why become a member? ×

Low pass / envelope filter for thick subby synthy sound?

mattyb

I'm looking for a bit of advise here, I mainly play praise and worship music and I'm looking for something to couple with an octave and drive for a subby synthy sound. I'm pretty sure a moogerfooger mf101 would do the job but they're huge and apparently hissy?

I've got a budget of around £150, would the likes of an Aguilar twin filter or an MXR M82 do the job? Or a source audio BEF pro? I did have one of those briefly but flipped it pretty quick after it confusing the life out of me!

Any help would be good thanks!

I know nothing of electronics but I would have thought someone could knock up a fixed low pass filter pedal pretty easily and cheaply. I maybe wrong and there may be technical reasons why its not as easy as I'd think.

As an addition, I find that if I use my digitech bass synth wah as an octaver but have it heavily balanced towards the octave down it gives me a lovely synthy sounding bass. Almost all my 'octave' parts have turned into synthy parts recently beacue of this discovery! haha.

Edited by lefrash

John Davis (of Nerve) uses a Moog MF-101 (along with a few other pedals. You'll want an OC 2 or similar to get the sound started & some dirt after that).
I know Shep's tried just about every LPF there is & was hoping to reduce the size of the pedals he uses, but hasn't found a replacement for the Moog.
The Moog is fussy regarding power. I have it on its own wart & in some places I'll get a very low background noise (some places nothing). You don't hear it when playing live though.

Yes it's not a cheap pedal & you then have to buy an expression pedal (or 2) to go with it, and it takes up a good bit of space, but there's nothing else that sounds like a model D filter.

If it helps, I've had both the MF101 and the Xerograph. They are both great pedals.

To me the MF101 was a bit more natural/less synthy sounding, which can be great. It's also very easy to get nice useable sounds from. Noise was never an issue for me, like Luke says, it's fine live.

The Xerograph is a bit more unwieldy. The oscillating squeals and resonance boost can be absolutely brutal, so you need to be a bit more careful. With care though, you can get some lovely settings which are a bit more synthy than the MF101 IMO.

I now use a Xerograph because it's smaller, easy to power, and sounds great. If I was twiddling settings on the gig, and had no space constraints, I'd happily use the MF101, even if it is a bit more 'polite'.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I've been told, the Nerve sound basically starts with a Boss OC2 with the direct level turned down low or off.

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah has a pretty good low pass filter,you just need to play around with it for a bit.For the price, you
can't knock it.I've also had success with the Ibanez SB7.

I ended up grabbing a 3Leaf GR2 which sounds great but isn't exactly what I was looking for.... Would you guys rate the sound of the OC2 above an Octamizer? I have the latter but its definitely a different sound to the usual synth octave bass sound. Maybe I need to play with the filter knob a bit more to dial it in just right

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1406618392' post='2512968']
I ended up grabbing a 3Leaf GR2 which sounds great but isn't exactly what I was looking for.... Would you guys rate the sound of the OC2 above an Octamizer? I have the latter but its definitely a different sound to the usual synth octave bass sound. Maybe I need to play with the filter knob a bit more to dial it in just right
[/quote]

They're based on the same circuit (as are 90% of octavers out there) but the Aguilar has a few... refinements! The filter knob is where the magic seems to be in that pedal from the clips I've heard.

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1406618392' post='2512968']
[/quote]

Just get the Moog dude, it'll do exactly what you need. It is quite big, but not at all noisy.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1406634180' post='2513194']
Just get the Moog dude, it'll do exactly what you need. It is quite big, but not at all noisy.
[/quote]

Pretty sure thats where I'm going to end up... you might see a GR2 in the classifieds sooner or later!

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1406662235' post='2513562']
My moogs are coming up for sale soon. Only because I don't play anymore.
[/quote]

PM me a price! I've spotted some on ebay I'm watching too so it looks like this is happening!

[quote name='mattyb' timestamp='1406705006' post='2513823']
PM me a price! I've spotted some on ebay I'm watching too so it looks like this is happening!
[/quote]

As soon as I've paid to advertise, I'll PM you a price & post an ad with what I have (I'll try & get that done tonight if poss).