Why become a member? ×

OW

vmaxblues

Well, recently I have noticed that my index finger of my right hand is painful and I have restricted movement in it, and I think this is down to the level of rehearsals I have been doing lately. We are about to launch a new band and have had some pretty intensive practise sessions.

Has anyone else had this and any thoughts on how not to do too much damage?

I would say that around 75% of our set list I am paying with fingers and the balance is with pick, so it would seem to fit that my finger is suffering from extended finger playing (oo er missus).

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers All

Stuart

First of all, I'd strongly suggest that you try to rest the finger, or things could get even worse. The probable cause (apart from over use) is that you could be digging in too much. If so, hire up the amp and let that do the work. Is the action on your bass too high ? What type of strings are you using ? If heavy gauge, perhaps you could switch to a lighter one.

Edited by Coilte

+1 for relax back a bit, even if it means altering your playing a bit.. better than suddenly being out of action for an extended period!
I did find, around my early 30s, that more of those aches-and-pains started to crop up anyway. It may or may not work for you, but I wore one of those copper bracelets on whichever arm was twingeing.. seemed to work for me! :)
Avoid painkillers if at all possible - all they do is mask the pain and allow you to 'push through'.. until suddenly you find you can't work at all!
If it doesn't ease off, you could try your GP, but unless they are unusually understanding of musicians they'll just tell you not to play for a while and see how it goes..

Edited by hubrad

Yes, I'd say rest a while
And really rest it - no playing for a few days

Also, although some people would recommend not taking painkillers
I'd say, take a rest and take something anti-inflammatory, like Ibuprophen
That should help ease any inflammation - but make sure you rest the finger

Another possibility of course is that it could be an arthritic condition
You don't state your age - but although arthritis is more common as you get older
you can also develop it at an earlier stage

So rest, ibuprophen, more rest
then see your GP if it continues

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

EDIT: After resting, try playing more with the pick, for now....

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1404982783' post='2497464']
Yes, I'd say rest a while
And really rest it - no playing for a few days

Also, although some people would recommend not taking painkillers
I'd say, take a rest and take something anti-inflammatory, like Ibuprophen
That should help ease any inflammation - but make sure you rest the finger

Another possibility of course is that it could be an arthritic condition
You don't state your age - but although arthritis is more common as you get older
you can also develop it at an earlier stage

So rest, ibuprophen, more rest
then see your GP if it continues

Good luck, and let us know how you get on

EDIT: After resting, try playing more with the pick, for now....
[/quote]
Good point about anti-inflammatories.. taken in conjunction with common sense they don't simply mask the pain, but reduce the inflammation that's causing it. Really do make sure to follow that instruction about 'take with food'.. they have a bad rep for damaging your stomach lining if taken wrongly or long-term large doses. I used to take them for my sciatica, but last year I was put onto 'tart cherry juice' by an American harmonica player.. touch wood I haven't taken a tablet since! Cherry Active seems to be the big brand, and it carries soooo many health claims that it sounds like the new snake oil. The biggy for me is its high concentration of anthocyanins, which are antioxidants with good reduction of inflammation. Info all over the web.
Works for me

Yep, as everyone else said, try to rest it. I once had something similar, along the top of the index finger between the hand and the next knuckle out. I ignored it and ended up buggering up something in my hand which took a year or so to get right. It still twinges if I play too hard.

As well as advice to turn your amp up and play lighter, get the rest of your band to turn down. If they don't, just stop playing.

Hi Stu,
I agree with pretty well all of the above but I'd add have you tried lowering your bass? I've had to do this recently with my slab tele/ P bass/ lump of concrete. Through lowering the bass my right arm suddenly doesn't hurt any more, my left hand technique works OK but looks horrible!
I've always had the same issue; raise the bass and left hand struggles less but my right hand and arm are tied in knots, lower the bass and I am comfortable but my left hand technique is put back 30 years!
Best of luck,
Martin

I knew someone would have a comeback for that! :lol:

Seriously though trying to grip a pick for a long time gives me similar symptoms to the OP, If you are predominantly fingers a pick will probably cause a few aches and vica versa, the muscles in that area are not up to the job same as when I get my motorbike out in the spring, I get neck ache until my neck muscles get used to it again which is usually about September when the winter returns for another 9 months!

As has been said (I won't comment on some of the other stuff that has been said...) rest it, BUT don't keep it immobile. I had problems with my thumb for a few weeks and decided to put a splint on it for as much time as I could, to try not to make it any worse. Eventually I spoke to a nurse who suggested that I keep it moving and it actually started to get better after a few days.

The problem was with the knuckle of my thumb. I have had problems with the base joint of my thumb since I was a kid due to various mishaps. A couple of times every year it starts to play up and becomes very painful for a few weeks. I finally got around to buying a spica for it this year, but keeping the base immobile (which did help that bit) meant that I compensated for the lack of movement with the knuckle and ended up damaging it (if I keep it immobile for more than a couple of minutes I have to snap it to make it bend again, which hurts quite a lot). So be aware of how you try to compensate for the pain in that finger, so you don't damage other things.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405008896' post='2497896']
I knew someone would have a comeback for that! :lol:
[/quote]

Well it had to be done. :)

Seriously though, I am absolutely dire with a pick - as soon as my fingers get tired it launches itself like a pebble from a catapult.
I need a 20' exclusion zone around me to use one. :)

Probably best to see a doc just to rule out anything other than a technique problem. There should not be a reason that extended playing should cause any problems so it will be technique, an unrelated underlying problem or more likely both

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1405008896' post='2497896']
...a pick will probably cause a few aches and vice versa...
[/quote]

Sadly 'tis true - I used a pick with not a single twinge for 40 years and have recently started playing fingerstyle - which I like very much - but it's playing merry hell with my arm, wrist and shoulder muscles...

I know this has little definite proof but I take glucosamine sulphate tablets and cod liver oil capsules - I used to have some stiffness in my knees but since taking these daily my joint mobility is pretty good - I buy the generic variety from Asda.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1405280443' post='2500448']
I know this has little definite proof but I take glucosamine sulphate tablets and cod liver oil capsules - I used to have some stiffness in my knees but since taking these daily my joint mobility is pretty good - I buy the generic variety from Asda.
[/quote]

Yes, I use Chondroitin & Glucosamine tablets
(you can get them in a combined tablet)
I started taking them because I had a knee op a few years back
They've really helped my knee, which used to grind and click now & then....

Cod liver oil is good for joints too
but you must remember - these tablets are mainly for joints
If you have inflammation of muscles or tendons
an anti-inflammatory drug is best

No harm in taking the joint pills though
They may help any other underlying issues, and will do no harm

as you get older, you will develop clicks, grinding & stiff joints :(

I'm going through the same thing right now & worryingly have a week in the studio from tomorrow. I had it last summer too but I don't think it is bass playing. It is from spending more time in the office on a computer... and getting older :unsure:

I've used a bit of ibruprofen gel and am spending less time online (typing with my other hand if I am online). I think if symptoms persist this time I'll go and see the Doc.