Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Double Four BG-75

Mr Bassman

Anyone got one yet?

I've got one but I'm getting a loud hum with Fender type passive basses, and a lower level hum with a Shadow SH950 or Wilson upright transducers.

With active Steinbergers it's silent, as is with a Bassmax upright transducer.

The noise is audible with headphones.

The BG-75 has an external power block and I suspect that might have something to do with it.

Did a TDF trio gig (vocals, piano, bass) where I thought I might have to walk to the venue, so I took the BG-75 & my fretless Steinberger and it coped very well. The piano player was sat behind the combo and loved the sound of it.

Edited by Mr Bassman

Hi Keith, send it back, I had similar problems with two Super Flightcases. UK dealer tried to make out it was normal/inaudible when I sent it back, but after a lot of hassle the third unit was fine. PJB gear is outstanding but I have found quite a high problem rate.

Hope all's well

Chris

Hi Chris,

all's well thanks. How are things your way?

I've had other probs with PJB stuff, my Super Flightcase had an intermittent crackle, it's sorted now by replacing the power section at my cost.

The cabs are amazing, as is the SFC now it doesn't crackle.

I'd like your SLB200 but I don't need it, so can't convince Mrs Bassman unless I move something else on.

K

Guest Jecklin

It was the noise issue that put me off buying one of these, even though I'm hooked on the concept.

There are anecdotal reports of similar issues on various internet sites.
However those don't total very many so either there are mo issues in most units, or very few people own them.

Your use is very similar to mine so I'm pleased to hear it worked live.

Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

• 2 weeks later...

Got one about 2 months ago. It arrived with a strange high pitched whistle, it was very low volume, but just enough to make you think you'd left a tap running somewhere in the house.

The guys at Bass Gear ( very highly recommended) talked to PJB and sorted it. The whole unit was changed. Apparently it was a known problem and PJB have now modified the design.

However, with my older passive bassesboth amps do/did have problems with noise . There is a earth type buzz which seems to be related to how well the instrument is screened. It stops when I touch a machine head or the control panel of the amp ( I presume because I provide an alternative earth - somebody help me out here) .

The combo runs on 20v DC, and the 'switching adaptor' transformer block supplied doesnt have an earth connection to a UK 3 pin mains plug. Dont know if this is the issue.

With more modern basses ( Ibanez SR800, Lakland 4401) it works great, and it's as silent as a mouse.
But with my 75 Precision and 73 Ric the buzz is substantial.

Pity as otherwise its a crackin little combo, light as a feather, nice tone and with a more vintage sound than other PJB stuff I've tried.

I'd love to use it with my older basses, but short of filling every cavity with copper tape, Im not sure how to do this.

Can anyone recommend a solution ?

Edited by loweringthetone

• 2 weeks later...

Ive found solutions to this - see my postings in the technical and repairs section. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/241727-pjb-double-four-bg-75-buzzing-with-older-passive-basses/"]http://basschat.co.u...passive-basses/[/url]

I had the same advice from Alan Greensall at Synergy. He's a very nice helpful chap indeed.

I found a suitable mains lead with a brass earth pin at the plug end, connected a length of thin cable to the earth pin and attached the other end at the combo under one of the pre amp screws. Works a treat.

However this combo has to go back to the retailer because the mute switch crackles.

The solution for me was an (earthed) laptop charger that I happend to have - it was rated 19v and 3.4A and had a 3 pin input to the transformer block, so I guessed it was earthed . Luckily it had (i) enough ampage, (ii) the same polarity and the same fitting as the power input on the BG-75.

With the earthing problem now solved, I think the Double 4 BG-75 is a wonderful little combo, highly portable, and with a more vintage sound than other PJB stuff . Its amazingly loud for its tiny size. I am using it in an acoustic pub session usually coimprising 5+ guitars, piano accordian, a trombone, bouzoukis, mandolins, 2 bodrhan players and other punters talking.

Alan, at Synergy the distributors, has been incredibly helpful and supportive throughout.

I'm now rather chuffed with this little amp, and I understand there is a possibility of running it off a battery in the future.

I await developments.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this very helpful thread. I also have the same issue with my PJB Double Four and that same noticeable earthed type hum on my passive Washburn Space Bass. The amp is silent on my Warwick Double $$ and also less noticeable if I play the passive bass via my pedal board into the Double Four. I got in contact with Alan at Synergy at he tells me that the earthed PSU's are still on way but have not shipped to the UK yet. He'll keep me posted when they arrive. Other than the humming issue, which I hope the new PSU will resolve, these really are great little amps.

• 3 years later...