Why become a member? ×

advice required regarding NS Design EU5 bass

kevin_lindsay

Hi guys.

I primarily play an electric bass guitar, but dabble in double bass.

I have owned 3 acoustic double basses over the years (3/4 size), as well as a few EUB instruments (Yamaha Silent Bass, Clevinger).

The biggest bugbear for me is the large neck depth on double basses. I've been pampered with the slimline electric bass neck profile. The deeper neck causes fatigue in my hand pretty quivkly.

So, I am considering the NS Design EU5 mainly due to the concave neck profile. I think this would ease the "hand fatigue" compared to a traditional neck.

It's an expensive instrument, so I'd appreciate advice from anyone here who actually owns one (or has previously owned one).

How does the concave neck feel to play?
The fully radiused fingerboard (compared to a traditional "angled" board - pros & cons?
Hardware - ease of assembly and ease of use when playing? Also, how robust is it?
String changing - issues?
Electronics - opinion as to how it sounds?
Gig bag - robustness?

If I don't decide to go down the EU5 route, I might go for one these (even though it obviously has a traditional neck profile)
http://www.lingsma.eu/

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Even with my limited experience I know the others are going to tell you that the depth of the fingerboard should not matter with correct left hand technique and arm weight, trying to grab around like a P bass on a DB or even on an EUB is going to cause you problems IMO, I can't see any other EUB or DB helping that unless you adopt a DB technique rather than an electric bass on its end technique, it will be an expensive way to discover the same issues you had before. I am not saying I can adopt the right technique at the drop of a hat either but I know what I am trying to do, infact if anything I have adopted the DB technique on the elec bass instead :lol: As soon as that left elbow drops the fingers close up, the intonation goes to bits, I start to try finger per fret style playing and the hand cramps kick off. This is cup of tea time for me :)