Why become a member? ×

Fender American Deluxe bass bridge from USA, am I missing something?

karlfer

Not sure where to put this but I would guess some of you guys who do wondrous mods have faced similar head scratching moments..
I am looking to replace a Fender 50's style, 2 barrel, 7 hole, string through/top mount bridge. The only one that seems to be a drop in replacement is the American Deluxe bass bridge.
In the UK, strings Direct are £51 delivered.
Thomann are £50 delivered.

One of the US suppliers are linked below.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291163525963?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

So by my reckoning, that US supplier, even adding 25% for customs and VAT charges, works out at about £37.
Admittedly I will have to wait longer, but I'm not in a hurry.
I would only be saving about £13, but that's almost one third saving against the US dealers price. And it's two thirds the price of a new set of Status Premier strings :P
What am I missing please?

Edited by karlfer

Not that I know about this but would it be possible for you to get the standard 5 hole bridge as they are cheaper and easy to get and drill out 2 holes and countersink them to make it a 7 hole fit I am assuming it has 5 holes on the bottom and 1 hole in each corner at the top or am I just talking nonsense lol

Or I do believe this would be a drop in fit
[b] http://www.guitarbitz.com/guitar-parts-c29/bridges-saddles-tailpieces-c31/gotoh-203b-4-precision-bass-bridge-chrome-p540/s540?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=gotoh-203b-4-precision-bass-bridge-chrome-8936ch&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=CO344b_NvL8CFfMZtAodvgwA_A[/b]

Edited by Thunderbird

The Gotoh appears to have two screw holes at the neck end of it, and 5 holes at the back of it.
The seven holes required, as per American Deluxe, are all at the back of the bridge. 3 mounting holes (steady! :P ) and 4 holes for through body stringing.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1405061838' post='2498342']
The Gotoh appears to have two screw holes at the neck end of it, and 5 holes at the back of it.
The seven holes required, as per American Deluxe, are all at the back of the bridge. 3 mounting holes (steady! :P ) and 4 holes for through body stringing.
[/quote] Ah I see I was assuming it had 5 at the rear and two at the top :)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1405062011' post='2498345']
Ah I see I was assuming it had 5 at the rear and two at the top :)
[/quote]

:P
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1405062605' post='2498348']
You might get hit with a handling charge, which could wipe out your £13.
[/quote]

Thanks WOT, I had a feeling I was missing something. Isn't it something like the Post Office handling charge, as well as VAT and import duties?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1405062918' post='2498355']
"What am I missing please?"

Royal Mail charge a flat £8 fee for processing customs cleared mail from the US (on top of VAT and duty)
[/quote]

Sorry, musta been typing.
That answers that. So, I was right, I'm no better off really.
Hey ho.
Many thanks guys.
Anybody got a second hand Fender American Deluxe bass bridge :lol:

That's interesting regarding the customs and handling charges... I bought a book via Amazon marketplace; it's a secondhand text book that cost something ridiculously low like £1.88 and the post and packing charges were £2.80. It arrived within two weeks of my ordering it; and it came from the USA. Judging by what was on the packaging I think it actually came via airfreight too. No additional costs were due.

Edited by HowieBass