Why become a member? ×

Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz Bass

great harry

This looks interesting. I haven't seen it before

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_modern_player_jb_shortscale_wb.htm

Cheap too. I have the Modern Player Jazz Bass and can't fault it. If this is the same quality it should fly off the shelves at that price. It has a P/J configuration which is appealing.

Edited by great harry

Thomann are listing them in Red as well for £288.00 including delivery here:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_modern_player_jb_shortscale_ca.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...ortscale_ca.htm[/url]

Edited by 2x18

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1405100897' post='2498878']
Think I might be having one of those.
[/quote]

GAK have them in for next day, but I'm waiting for theyellowcar's review before I pull the trigger :D

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1405720994' post='2504810']

GAK have them in for next day, but I'm waiting for theyellowcar's review before I pull the trigger :D
[/quote]

I'm wrestling with the idea of having to get rid of my MIM P to make room on the rack for one of these, so I wouldn't wait for me to make a decision :P

I went and played one of these in GAK on my way home from work today. They only had candy apple red in stock (I prefer the white) but this is a very nice instrument. Quality of fit and finish is incredible for 300 quid.

The bloke told me they've sold about four or five out of the shop in the last 2 days. Think I need to sell some gear and buy one quick!

[quote name='soulrabbi' timestamp='1406047541' post='2507852']
I went and played one of these in GAK on my way home from work today. They only had candy apple red in stock (I prefer the white) but this is a very nice instrument. Quality of fit and finish is incredible for 300 quid.

The bloke told me they've sold about four or five out of the shop in the last 2 days. Think I need to sell some gear and buy one quick!
[/quote]

How did it sound plugged in?

Pickups sound nice and clear with a decent output. It was brighter than I would usually like but then I would stick flatwounds straight on and I didn't fiddle with the amp settings or even look how he had the amp set. I just wanted to have a quick fiddle around with it on the way home. But yeah I think it would sound amazing with some decent strings on it.

[quote name='pqs' timestamp='1406058875' post='2507978']
Have ordered the white one which is due for delivery Saturday. Will be good to see how it compares to my Squire Jag short scale :)
[/quote]

I would value your opinion as well, esp with having a Squier jag to compare it to.

I can see it appealing to a fair few people. Some don't feel comfy with a full scale neck so will appeal to those. Some might be put off a P bass because of the neck width so this will tick a box for them too, they get jazz neck with a P pickup (though I think some P specials have narrower necks too?). Will be interesting to hear it on P pickup only mode as many P specials with this P/J config are often cited as not being able to do an authentic P sound. Not sure how much influence the body shape has on tone, less than a lot would think would be my guess. Looks a good value workhorse at that price.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1406110408' post='2508354']
I can see it appealing to a fair few people. Some don't feel comfy with a full scale neck so will appeal to those. Some might be put off a P bass because of the neck width so this will tick a box for them too, they get jazz neck with a P pickup (though I think some P specials have narrower necks too?). Will be interesting to hear it on P pickup only mode as many P specials with this P/J config are often cited as not being able to do an authentic P sound. Not sure how much influence the body shape has on tone, less than a lot would think would be my guess. Looks a good value workhorse at that price.
[/quote]

I have the Mexican P Special with the Jazz neck and it's a great bass, love the P/J setup, but I'm not hugely enamoured with the active electronics which is why this is so appealing!

The Squier P/J basses all have P necks.

Now I think of it I had a Squier P special for a short while but never measured the neck. Didn't feel massive but could have been a P width I guess. I currently have a USA P deluxe with double jazz at the bridge end (all active, no passive switch) and I think that has a neck width somewhere between a jazz and a P (I have one each of those too, both passive though) and I'm only going on feel, not measured any of them.

Have up loaded a couple of pics from my phone on new thread quickie review looks good out of box, no sharp ends arrived on time good service from GAK and Fed Ex. Sounds like the jag but more powerful only had a quick go through my little MB15 will try through something larger next rehearsal than will review properly.
It is 2lbs heavier than the jag but has two frets less but so far I love it.
Regards
Peter