Why become a member? ×

How do you get that 80s DX7 synth sound with effects?

Clarky72

I need to get that awesome 80s synth sound that was in the main usually a Yamaha DX7.

I tried the Boss SYB-3, maybe it was my lack of knowledge but I fiddled for ages and got nothing that even vaguely replicated the sound I was looking for. I'm loathed to buy and resell every synth pedal out there testing them all out, so do any of you have any experience of getting the sound and can give me any tips?

I've almost given up and was going to just buy a Microkorg and do it the easy way.

The Bass Micro Synth is pretty good at this but the problem you'll encounter (with any effect pedal) is trying to get the filter envelope to re-trigger reliably if you play anything fast.

I've tried writing my own tracking system in Max/MSP and when you see what the string does at the input each time you pick and how little it decays at first you can see it's a very difficult problem to solve. The best possible performance would require throwing pitch tracking at it and using a hexaphonic pickup, by which point you might as well be using a MIDI system anyway.

All three of those examples sounds pretty analogy to me.

The classic DX7 bass sound is more like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIYvHMMJWjI. I haven't had or heard a synth pedal that can get close to the DX7.

However for the more traditional analog sounds, the Markbass Super Synth is great - it has three oscillators which can be detuned for fatness. There's quite a lot of control over the triggering, but you'll need to use the software editor to set it up, which isn't ideal on a gig.

The Bass Micro Synth is also great, but I found that the envelope triggering is all at one level - you can't affect the filter amount with your playing volume. That might be good for you - make the synth more robotic, or it can be tricky live.

My favourite synth sound at the moment is the Iron Ether Subterranea and Xerograph Deluxe pedals with expression pedal, or the Three Leaf Groove Regulator 2 with the Sub plus other stuff in its effect loop.

Guest Jecklin

Phagor is on the money there.

I love some of the sounds you can get with a DX7 and wish I'd never sold mine.
It's a pretty fashionable sound at the moment too cropping up all over the place in tracks on the radio.
Those characteristic sounds it makes are due to the FM synthesis method employed, which is radically different from what bass guitar pedals try to emulate.

If you really want a DX7 style sound a DX7 is the best way to get it.
They can be had for around £200 on ebay.

However I do appreciate you want the bass guitar interface.

Sorry, wish I could point you to a pedal