Why become a member? ×

Automatically upgrade strings on inexpensive bass?

timmyo

Hi there,

As a convert to bass I hear that strings make more of a difference than on guitar (true?)

With that in mind, am I advised to replace the strings on my (new, although was the shop-floor model) Squier CV 60s Precision or will they be a good brand by default?

thanks
Tim

It really depends what kind of tone you are after. Sparkly bright or dull and life less. There is no doubt you get what you pay for in life so it goes that a cheap bass might come with cheaper strings. There is more to it than just strings. If the bass is shop bought it might be worth your while taking it to a local luthier for a professional setup. He/she would probably recomend new strings anyway. Factory setups a usually a compromise so having a luthier set it up to your requirements will make a big difference.

Edited by BassBus

It's probably wearing a set of Fender nickel roundwounds; there's nothing wrong with these strings at all. They might have been on the bass a while and it might have been played by a few people with greasy hands so they might have some grime on them and that will affect the tone (duller than new strings). However if you like the sound you get so far then there's no reason to change them straight away but it's worth knowing about the different string windings and gauges (steel vs nickel; roundwound vs flatwound vs groundwound; light gauge vs medium gauge vs heavy gauge) and you'll find that there will be differences in tone between manufacturers even when the strings are the same gauge and construction. Add to this the fairly high cost of a new set vs the longevity of a set and you'll realise it might take you years to work your way through the many permutations before you settle on a set you really like!

Have fun!

Edit: One habit you should develop is using a clean soft cloth to wipe the strings down after you've played your bass, this will help keep the strings clean and untarnished because you'll be wiping off sweat and grease.

Edited by HowieBass

I recently bought a "cheap" bass - J&D brothers Jazz, which came with their own strings. No idea who makes them (as it is highly unlikely to be J&D themselves).

The sound and play great! I have had no need or desire to change them at all. In fact, if I could find out what brand they are I would happily buy some more of them! B)