Why become a member? ×

The LOUDEST guitar shaped accoustic bass.

BanjoChris

Hi,

I'm on the look out for a guitar shaped acoustic bass to be played in a Bluegrass band along with banjo, guitar and mandolin. I played a s/h Fender in Reileys Preston recently and I could hardly hear it whilst playing it alone never mind in contention with three other instruments being plucked/strummed to within an inch of their lives.

Can anyone recommend a loud acoustic bass. Can't be expensive, we're talking bluegrass musicians here!

The body on the Warwick Aliens basses looks huge which makes me think it would be loud (not actually played one though).

I can just about keep up with an acoustic guitar that's really going for it on my Fender but that's really pushing it.

Maybe get one of those really small amps to go with the acoustic bass, then you won't have to play as hard...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1405086864' post='2498744']
It's a bit of a flaw of acoustic basses that they are uselessly quiet...

Get a double bass :D
[/quote]
Basically this, although we do have a particularly good (and loud) Czech handmade one in the shop.. http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/6747?mrSid=885e91b789229db84e55c91800f88d7e
Double bass really [u]is[/u] the one for bluegrass, and looks the part as well!

Lol. Can anyone recommend a LOUD portable battery bass amp? :)

I think a nice real small scale cheap electric bass like a Squire Mustang matched with said amp may do the trick.

It's for my wife anyhow who'll be a beginner, I'll be on 5 string banjo, and she'll never be able to pound out an acoustic loud enough. The kids take care of guitar and mando.

Liking the idea of a family bluegrass band...

I'm going for a whizzy 10 and GB mb200 for an ultra portable rig to use with the acoustic set. I liked the look of those roland cubes... wasn't convinced I'd get any actual bass frequencies out of it though.

Edited by CamdenRob

The Tacoma CB10 always had a reputation for being a particularly loud acoustic bass (I've always fancied one too, but they don't come up very often and when they do they're expensive), but I'd agree with all the comments above. Acoustic basses are lovely things to have around the house and to mess about on, but without an amp they're only good for the quietest of ensemble playing.

P

PS. Of course the thing is, if you're doing gigs you can just DI into the PA just like the other "acoustic" instruments.

Edited by philw

[quote name='great harry' timestamp='1405090221' post='2498777']
Why does it need to be a battery amp? Are you busking? If you were to put it through a proper amp a u bass might do the trick as it has a double bass kind of sound.
[/quote]

On a nice day like this we like to chuck a couple of cans in a cool bag and head down to the beach for a jam.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1405089620' post='2498769']
I echo everything mentioned earlier.

Acoustic basses ceased to have a point when the 90's unplugged craze wore off.
[/quote]

..... but even then they were either mic'd or DI'd. In the absence of amplification of one sort or another, there are few instruments as unfit for purpose as an acoustic bass guitar.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1405095300' post='2498832']

..... but even then they were either mic'd or DI'd. In the absence of amplification of one sort or another, there are few instruments as unfit for purpose as an acoustic bass guitar.
[/quote]

Oh dear;( maybe I should offload this..

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1405095300' post='2498832']

[/quote]

Oh dear;( maybe I should offload this..

I had a Fender Kingman bass. The reviews/reports said it was one of the loudest available on the market, yet in a big room, without amplification, it wouldn`t kepp up with an acoustic guitar. In a living room it would be fine but once the room gets bigger, amp needed.