Why become a member? ×

KALA U SUB SOLID BODY BASS - BLACK & BLINKING FAB!! - **SOLD**
£275

dodgnofski

Price drop - now £250 - bargain :gas:!!

Worth owning one of these beauties - just to see the smiles wiped off the rest of the band members faces who think you are having a larf - when you plug it in - WOW!!

More thunderous than my 60's Precision and double bass sounds a plenty - how do they do it??!!

In mint condition and complete with the original Deluxe padded Gig Bag - All black, including the strings & very rare on this side of the pond.

I'm really going to miss having this by the settee, ready to pick up and have a noodle when a good bass line idea comes to me, it's just soooooo handy - but need the dosh, so hey - ho :(!!

Here are the specs :-

Set up in the USA
Overall length is 28"
Scale length of 21"
Tuning EADG
Body width of 9"
Body Length from upper horn of 13.5"
Body depth of 1.5"
Neck length of 21"
Fretboard width at the nut of 1.75"
Fretboard width at the end of 2 & 3/8ths"
Fretboard Length of 15.75"
Body connects at the 20th fret at the lower cutaway allowing access to the full 22 frets
Custom black Licensed Hipshot Tuners
Passive Shadow Pickup System with 4 compensated saddles & two band active EQ System
Rosewood fingerboard, Nut & Adjustable Bridge
Poplar Solid wood body & Maple bolt on neck
Deluxe Padded Custom Gig Bag
Weight is a wonderful fraction under 2Kg - so my arthritic shoulder doesn't even know it's there!
Controls are Volume, Bass & Treble.
Access to the single PP9 battery takes around half a second via the magnetic panel on the rear of the body - "simples"!!

As previously mentioned, don't be fooled by this little chaps lack of stature - the sounds are literally thunderous and if you are looking for a double bass sound - it's there in spades.

Obviously the very short scale length comes as a surprise at first and the strings take some getting used to, but after 10 to 15 minutes - even an old duffer like me found it sooooo easy to move around the fingerboard - the only warning I should give to prospective buyers is.......... It's soooooo hard to put down, without experiencing an overwhelming urge to pick it up again - straight away :)!!

Any questions - please ask away. The bottom line is that this is a very small, proper bass guitar made of high quality components, the build quality is superb, the sounds are amazing and it is as light as a light thing, from the Planet Light - go on, you know you want one :)!!!

Can post out to UK Mainland via 48 hour courier for the princely sum of £12.98 - ta!!

Payment by Paypal - as a gift, or Bank Transfer is fine. Or if I'm not too far away and you want to try before you buy, cash on collection is also mighy fine - ta!! - But be prepared to be amazed - :gas:!!

Edited by dodgnofski

Hi, I may be a bit too far away from you being in Staffordshire - 5 minutes from J15 of the M6 - where the Motorway starts to get a bit 'cobbly' :D!!

Just thought at £250, if the buyer didn't get on with it, they should at least get their dosh back.

But if you are ever this far North, you are more than welcome to give it a try out B)!!

All the best

Tim

I have one of these, and can vouch for them being very fun instruments. Perfect for oompah loompahs and kids learning to play :) They are not made in the USA though, the California series are, but these SUBs are only set up in the US (much the same way as Sterling by Musicman).

Thanks for the heads up re set up in the USA - I obtained the specs from the web, but must have been looking at the very expensive California range! I have amended the post now. I believe it's a similar deal to Sadowsky - where the only difference is the expensive exotic wood they tend to use on the NYC models, but like the Kala SUB, have the same high quality components and build quality as their more expensive cousins.

Here is a nice review,

Kala S.U.B. Sunburst (4-string)
Construction and playability
The Kala SUB has a bolt on neck with 22 frets. The scale length is 21″ inches (53,34 cm) (13″ less then a regular 34″ electric bass). Compared to the fretless acoustic/electric model I have played since 2010 there are a few differences in how it feels to play. In my opinion it was easier for me to play the fretless than the fretted. This is almost only because of the scale length. When I first started playing the SUB I tended to fret on the frets. It has however been a lot easier over time. When you fret ‘on-the-fret’ a not so pleasing sound will be heard. There is more ‘looking-at-the-right-hand’ than when I play a regular 34-35″ bass. This is simply because it feels more natural. (I have been playing electric bass for 25+ years). All in all I think it’s definitely nice to play. The only negative thing that I have to mention is that the fretwork is not top notch. There are quite a few frets that need some ‘more love’. But in this price range it’s quite common and the new SUB’s are hopefully even better. The one I’ve been playing was probably made 1-1,5 years ago or more.
Sound
I have played this Ubass almost a year now. It’s been used on different gigs. From cover band type of gigs to a Beatles tribute with a large choir and band in a concert hall.
I think it works really well in these situations. The sound suited these shows perfect and anywhere you would choose a Fender P-bass. A friend told me about a supposedly old Fender P-bass add that said: ”It’s got one sound – the sound you want” :) The Kala Solid body’s has a really warm and full sound! This is one key ingredient that it blends so well with other instruments! The pre-amp in the SUB is designed to deliver a quite hot and ‘bassy’ sound hence the name SUB!

• 2 weeks later...

It is indeed the same model, albeit in the arguably much more desirable all black finish

In my very humble opinion - one fifty is way too low a price for one of these - try getting a quote to have one imported, including import duty, shipping costs and the dreaded VAT - ouch!!

Also, the fact that Bass Direct - who I believe are the only UK Kala stockists? don't have any in stock and can't say when, or even 'if' at all will 'ever' have any in stock again, as according to the very helpful Chappie at Bass Direct I spoke to said they are not currently in production, as Kala are preferring to produce the far more expensive 'California' range - which must make this a very rare beastie, especially on this side of the pond.

Apparently when these 'were' available in UK they retailed around the four hundred pound mark, so I thought two fifty, (which is less than I paid for it), was a reasonable price, given the condition and the rarity.

I know for a fact - just like Chris that I will regret letting her go because she is just so handy, takes up no room at all, sounds soooo good and will be virtually impossible to replace - (unless I win the Lottery of course), but I'm afraid 'needs must' - umph :(!!

Edited by dodgnofski

• 2 weeks later...