Why become a member? ×

Steinberger L2 1982
£1995

andyorks

[color=#282828][font=Helvetica][size=3]Here for sale is my Steinberger L2 made on the 21st January 1982 in the Brooklyn factory, New York. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Helvetica][size=3]The bass is in all original condition with a very playable setup and awesome tone.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=Helvetica][size=3]Not looking for trades and would prefer face to face transaction.[/size][/font][/color]

Lovely

I had one just like that for a while - complete with boomerang and plug-in leg-rest (far superior to the XL2's hinged thing). Sold it about 8 years ago for £750. What a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Phil

Lovely bass GLWTS

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1405199241' post='2499694']
boomerang and plug-in leg-rest (far superior to the XL2's hinged thing).
[/quote]

Never had the slightest issue with the XL's hinged leg rest - so I'm genuinely intrigued to understand how far is far? :-)

CB

Hello Phil

I've worked for years as an engineer and loved AE1's, a real game changer when they arrived, still got a pair at home on my vinyl system. Not come across the AE22's but would like to hear them sometime, it's all PMC's and ATC's where I work at the moment.

Cheers for the post

Andy

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1405201351' post='2499726']

Never had the slightest issue with the XL's hinged leg rest - so I'm genuinely intrigued to understand how far is far? :-)

CB
[/quote]

In hindsight of course it should have been, "far superior in my opinion". It's the industrial designer in me speaking. I'm sure the hinged leg-rest works just fine, but it seems to me there's more design purity to the plug-in version. The hinged one is (to my way of thinking) just a touch Heath-Robinson in context of such a single-minded and logic-driven product. Of course, all the design purity in the world didn't stop most L2 plug-in leg-rests getting lost over the years, which I guess is why Ned S went for a fixed option option on the XL2. I'd like to think he drew the hinged version through gritted teeth though. I think I would have done, muttering something along the lines of, "well if they can't look after their plug-in leg-rests they can buy a friggin' Fender".

Damn! All this talk of L2s make me regret selling mine even more.

Good to hear Andy that an old pair of AE1s is still doing the business. They're great speakers which, sadly, I had nothing to do with. What you may not know however is that they were designed by Phil Jones - he of Phil Jones Bass fame. He and another guy, who's name escapes me, founded Acoustic Energy in London in the early 1980s. Small world innit?

Meanwhile, back on topic. Good luck with the L2 sale. Just make sure you're not going to regret saying goodby to it. You're unlikely to get another one.

Phil

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1405239853' post='2499904']
I've got an XL2 with a plug in leg rest. 1983 I think. Fantastic bass guitar. In fact I'll take it to my Police tribute gig this afternoon.
If I had the money that L2 would be mine. GLWTS
[/quote]

An XL2 with a plug in? That's a rare beast. Must be a "transition" instrument.

And that L2 wouldn't be yours if you had the money, 'cause I'd have bought it already if I had the money :-)

P

We're all a bit skint, I guess. I probably would've bought the Steinberger if my car hadn't been written off a few weeks ago (it was parked...nothing to do with me!). Can't work without a car, but I can gig without a Steinberger...most of my employers would probably be glad about that!

• 2 weeks later...