Why become a member? ×

Building a new Pedalboard....Need Help!

lukeward2004

Ok so ive used my trusty BassPod XT Pro pretty much exclusively, both live and at home, for the last 6 years or so. Its been my all in one magic box of tricks that has served me well, but now im GASsing for something different.

Effects wise, im really hankering after building a little pedalboard with some cool new toys on it. I generally only use a few effects over and above an awesome clean tone from my Warwicks, so I wanted to get some opinions from the fine folk of BC.

So I want a good Overdrive pedal, a funky Envelope Filter, a Phaser and perhaps add an Octaver.

In my mind, there is and has never been a better overdriven sound than that of a load of valves being run HARD - years and years ago I had a box made by DHA, a sort of prototype that I cant find any more - here it is on my OLD pedalboard:

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lukeward2004/media/Picture002-1.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/lukeward2004/Picture002-1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I loved that first VT2 - anyt houghts on the new ones? Same sort of sounds? Loved the fact that I could have one slightly warm/crunchy overdrive then kick in a massive in your face overdrive if I wanted.

The best envelope filter ive dug up lately seems to be the Sounblox Bass EV - not the big pro model, the smaller one - I also like that it has a pahser on it, two birds with one...err...pedal.

And Octaver - no idea. EBS? Genuinely have no idea whats out there, the Octaver on the Bass Pod has always been superb so open to suggestion.

Planning on sticking it all on a little Pedaltrain thingy with some sort of power supply.

Advice on all of the above would be awesome, Ive not played with anything but a bass pod for so long I feel lost!!!

I am just doing the very same thing. So far I have a
mxr octavier- love it
Sans amp vt bass- love love love it
Bass balls - it's ok but I'm going to order an mxr envelope filter
Boss geb7 eq- I use it as a clean boost with a mid scoop for slap.

Don't really know what else to add ! But I'm having fun with this lot so far !

For a good overdrive, I'd recommend the darkglass vmt for lowish gain/ rusty sounds, and ehx glove for more lemmy esque drive
The mxr bef for filter- so adjustable and tweakable.
Love my evh 90 for phase. Has both modern and vintage sounds in the same box
Octave wise I like both the mxr bod, and the ebs octabass. The ebs for smoother poppy octaves, and the mxr for more rocky environments.

Edited by dudewheresmybass

I love the sub octave of the digitech bass wah and some of the other sounds are great fun to play with so might give you what you're after in an envelope filter too in one pedal. I use a boss cs-2 compressor / sustainer which I love and I also have an MXR phase 90 which is a classic phaser (though the phase 100 has more tweaks on it - its on my wish list to balance the wet and dry)