Why become a member? ×

8 x 10's

Guest MoJo

In this day and age where it seems the majority of bass players want a 2x12 that weighs as much as a matchbox, does anyone still use an 8x10?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1405255315' post='2500095']
In this day and age where it seems the majority of bass players want a 2x12 that weighs as much as a matchbox, does anyone still use an 8x10?
[/quote]

I know Bertbass did until he got his Barefaced '69er. I used one extensively back in the day and I know that there are several members who use them. They are still the industry standard and ubiquitous as backline on the festival circuit...

I think it depends on 1) whether you have to haul it yourself, and 2) if so, how old you are and what state your back is in!! ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405256527' post='2500102']
I think it depends on 1) whether you have to haul it yourself, and 2) if so, how old you are and what state your back is in!! ;)
[/quote]

1. Yes I would
2. I'm 52 and have a spine as fragile as a cream cracker

I don't need one, the band doesn't justify using one. They're just so damned cool looking. 160lbs would get very old, very quickly, I don't like lifting 93lbs of BAM210 in and out of the car, so why am I still looking at them on ebay? :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1405260268' post='2500156']
...why am I still looking at them on ebay?
[/quote]

Because there's nothing like playing a P bass standing in front of an Ampeg SVT CL through an Ampeg 8X10 and making a noise like a 2-ton rubber ball bouncing on the stage which vibrates everyone's internal body cavities until they go crazy - that's why. :D

Edited by discreet

I'll use a 212 and 210..with the option to add another 210, if the stage warrants it
but haven't needed to.
I can lug that around if I have to and the 212 is a default rig option even though I have
lightweight 2x112...they just don't do it soundwise.

I love my 810!

I've had 410's ,115's and a ampeg 610, I dont dislike small cabs but the 810 does sound amazing really fills the rooms we play, don't ever struggle to hear myself, and mines not a crazy ££££! One it cost me about 400 quid.

Does help that we all help with gear In my band as otherwise it be a pain

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1405259090' post='2500134']
If I had a roadie, I'd have one :)
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405260995' post='2500169']
Because there's nothing like playing a P bass standing in front of an Ampeg SVT CL through an Ampeg 8X10 and making a noise like a 2-ton rubber ball bouncing on the stage which vibrates everyone's internal body cavities until they go crazy - that's why. :D
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I`d love one, but only if it were someone elses job to carry it. Actually, if that were the case, I`d have two!

I played through a Mark bass, and a few ampegs over the past year and so I'd have one in a heartbeat if it was practical but:
a) Even if I was strong enough to move one around, it won't fit in my car.
B) most of the gigs we do with my main band have a back line provided so occasionally a decent 8x10 or 6x10 is provided.

I'm 25, fit as an ox and the land rover has more than enough room. I even have the prerequisite p-bass. But you won't catch me with one, far too heavy and rather crass. I know some styles of music calls for the wall-o-doom, but I'd feel silly playing in a tiny bar with a huge rig.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1405285648' post='2500506']
...you won't catch me with one, far too heavy and rather crass. I know some styles of music calls for the wall-o-doom, but I'd feel silly playing in a tiny bar with a huge rig.
[/quote]

Crass? Get out!! Silly?? Play bigger venues!! :P

...Bloody kids. ;)[size=4] [/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405286372' post='2500515']

Crass? Get out!! Silly?? Play bigger venues!! :P

...Bloody kids. ;)[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405268089' post='2500281']

My thoughts exactly. I`d love one, but only if it were someone elses job to carry it. Actually, if that were the case, I`d have two!
[/quote]
Stairs are the biggest 8x10 nemesis. They roll around nicely, slide on and off stages nicely, go into trailers, vans and trucks easily. Of course some of this requires two people, but overall this can make ir easier than handling a normal weight combo or 4x10 on ones own.

I love my 810 and 610 cabs... I can see the advantage of the lightweight gear (and did start looking into getting a lightweight 'backup') but my favourite setup will always by my Ashdown CTM 300 through a big cab ;) But I am only 21 so got a few years of lugging this about yet! Even though my chiropractor already says that my back is on the way out!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405268089' post='2500281']
[/quote]

precisely this!! :)

mine'd have to be Orange though, I like them Orange things :)

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1405415464' post='2501636']
...mine'd have to be Orange though, I like them Orange things :)
[/quote]

As a youth I lusted after a 2X15 Orange Reflex cab, but [i]alas[/i]. Or maybe [i]luckily[/i]... we'll never know.

I used to love mine, and was more than happy to suffer the pain of moving it, and the deafness after gigs - hey, you're indestructible when you're 25...nowadays one would be uttely pointless with my tinnitus as I couldn't really turn it up much, and since I moved to in-ears I wouldn't go back anyway - being able to hear yourself [i]properly [/i]is a new and addictive experience.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1405418417' post='2501674']
I used to love mine, and was more than happy to suffer the pain of moving it, and the deafness after gigs - hey, you're indestructible when you're 25...nowadays one would be uttely pointless with my tinnitus as I couldn't really turn it up much, and since I moved to in-ears I wouldn't go back anyway - being able to hear yourself [i]properly [/i]is a new and addictive experience.
[/quote]

Don't listen! It's a trap! :hide:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405417815' post='2501668']
As a youth I lusted after a 2X15 Orange Reflex cab, but [i]alas[/i]. Or maybe [i]luckily[/i]... we'll never know.

[/quote]

oo nice :gas:

oh ROOOOOAADDDDIIIIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405419335' post='2501686']
Yes, I really must try that one of these days. ;)
[/quote]

It's a shocker the first time it happens ("Is that ME?)...didn't half tighten up my playing... :( :D